husky 281xp speeds

Mike Dempsey

I dont have access to my manual just now as it on my pc at home and I am in my workshop. Could someone post the high, low and idle speeds of a husky 281 xp. It wasnt running very well yesterday and and I want to check it with the tach and retune it if necessary.

Many thanks

Most 281's have the mechanically/vacuum governed carbs don't they?

Yes, there is a mechanical device in the carb that stops the saw leaning out too far. I sealed mine up when I ported it so I coud achieve the best revs for the work I had done on the saw.

It is under the big brass screw on the side of the carb.

You like to seal up holes, don't you? Ah yeahhh.

Yup, seal up dem holes Ahhhhhh Yeah as we say dawn sarf:sneaky2::lol::lol::lol:

I just put a small circular disk of gasket material down the hole and then reassembled, worked a treat but is a good device to stop the saw seizing in it's normal tune. Don't take it as the issue the OP has though, it may be tht the H screw is just a little too far out - should be set at one turn out!

Yup, seal up dem holes Ahhhhhh Yeah as we say dawn sarf:sneaky2::lol::lol::lol:

I just put a small circular disk of gasket material down the hole and then reassembled, worked a treat but is a good device to stop the saw seizing in it's normal tune. Don't take it as the issue the OP has though, it may be tht the H screw is just a little too far out - should be set at one turn out!

Is that a tillotson carb by any chance?

Sounds exactly the same as what you do on the stihl 051/075/076 and throws in extra fuel to limit it?

I just use a small punch and bit of ally coke can :thumbup:

The original problem was that I had set the top speed to 9000 as it said in the manual I got with it (ex army saw) and when I was milling sycamore with it the other day I thought it was running too slow. I have now adjusted it up using a tach so all is good now.

You want 9-9600 or so with the bar buried in the cut, not WOT. At about 13,600 RPM WOT, that thing should get plenty of lube and cut plenty good. Well, without the governor...