Seed collecting 2014

Ian88

I have spent the last month running a team climbing some very nice 50m+ Douglas firs and 40m coastal redwoods picking seeds in and around the forest of Dean. Solid days, rain or shine, living out of vans with a good team, living the dream! My first bit of work in over 3 months after breaking my collarbone, good to be back into it.

jqt79e.jpg

11tv0ig.jpg

23hvkso.jpg

2n1xant.jpg

29os5tj.jpg

I've done a few days this year in South Wales picking for NRW (FC wales).

I've climbed some big Douglas firs, 40m plus and as you probably well know the best of the seeds are at the very top so I've had some great views as well.

I'm doing a day this week on coastal redwoods near Monmouth.

I have spent the last month running a team climbing some very nice 50m+ Douglas firs and 40m coastal redwoods picking seeds in and around the forest of Dean. Solid days, rain or shine, living out of vans with a good team, living the dream! My first bit of work in over 3 months after breaking my collarbone, good to be back into it.

29os5tj.jpg

Beautiful picture

Nice Riggerbear, its good work! I enjoy it and its nice to be spending time at the very top of the trees, you don't often need to go that high when you are working on the tree. Your not going to be far from where we were, near newant. We also further south for a week when we started the dougies. The redwood cones are spot on for picking at the moment but the dougies were a bit far gone I think.

The Douglas were spot on about 3 weeks ago.

We done 2 days picking macedonian pines in August. The cones were unbelievably sticky, a real pain to remove it from your hands and equipment.

Hi Riggerbear,

What climbing techniques are you using to climb them? I take it spikes are out of the question.

Thanks mate,

Timon

Big shot a line up over several good branches and then srt.

Once you've reached that point normal double rope system accent to the top.

To be honest though the FC guy did say that he wouldn't mind if we had use spikes on the very biggest Douglas as there were no branches you'd trust for 50-60'.

Yes, the douglas were crazy on the sap when we were doing them, some had pockets that would just pop over every thing. I couldn't get down one rope using a grigri the other week.

Our access was bigshot to 20m+, get an access line in and anchor at the ground. croll, pantin, hand accender with foot-loop to the top of that rope then drt the rest of the way up. I some times bought my srt line higher but not very much.

• 1 year later...