thin kerf bar and chain for 066 ?

biofix

Hello,

I am new to this forum and chainsaw milling.

If somebody could give me some advice that would be great.

I recently bought a Stihl 066 and I want to use it for milling (hardwood and softwood, mostly small logs) . I thought it would be good to get a 50cm thin kerf bar and a thin kerf ripping chain.

My question is: will the saw be too powerful for the thin kerf chain so that the chain might/will snap ??:confused1:

Does anybody have experience with big saws and thin kerf chains?

Thanks a lot

I use a 25" thin kerf (1.3mm) STIHL DUROMATIC E bar with a 3/8" Picco chain on my MS 660 for milling.

The STIHL part numbers are:

25" DUROMATIC E bar: 3003 000 5531

7-pin spur sprocket (Picco Z7): 1122/06

The duromatic bar (no nose sprocket) allows you to clamp the Alaskan mill close to the end of the bar nose, giving you a longer effective cutting length.

But to be honest, you don't save that much kerf width from using a 1.3mm kerf Picco chain, as compared to a regular 1.6mm kerf 3/8" chain.

59766aaee9fe5_Photo23-09-1213_56_33.jpg.58812bbe3a7e140d0bab2988f483047d.jpg

59766aaee7f55_Photo15-09-1212_58_09.jpg.199734242f31399a2187d75e4b130095.jpg

Welcome to forum and interesting first post.

There's a lot of myths and legends about using 3/8 lo pro for milling.

First of all - thin kerf chains are really not that much thinner at all - they save very little wood compared to a standard 3/8 chain as demonstrated here~

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/milling-forum/44074-some-interesting-facts-about-3-8-lo-pro-chain-milling.html

But I think they do have their use in that a 3/8 lo pro chain requires less power to pull it through the wood than a standard 3/8 chain.

Looking at the set up you have though - a 20" bar on a Stihl 066 - there is oddles of power there so I can't see the benefit of going down the 3/8 lo pro route for that size bar/saw combo...

It's more if you were running a 36" or 42" bar on a 90cc saw I think you'd see benefits.

I have just got in some GB lo pro bars - not had a chance to run them myself yet but hopefully will be able to next week. They are in the selectors for Stihl saws here Guide bars

:001_smile:

I've just got one of the GB 42" bars off Rob to run on my 066. Should give me around 36" clearance on the mill.

I've not had a chance yet to mill with it but I want to do a time trial between 42" lo pro and a 36" standard 3/8

I have had a quick trial with it off the mill and found it was very grabby. It ran like it had another 20cc. I expect it will behave better in the mill. Wouldn't like to hit a nail with though!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Arbtalk mobile app

I've just got one of the GB 42" bars off Rob to run on my 066. Should give me around 36" clearance on the mill.

I've not had a chance yet to mill with it but I want to do a time trial between 42" lo pro and a 36" standard 3/8

I have had a quick trial with it off the mill and found it was very grabby. It ran like it had another 20cc. I expect it will behave better in the mill. Wouldn't like to hit a nail with though!

I was thinking the same thing Si - I will do a time trial between:

Sugihara standard 42" with Oregon 75RD ripping chain - new set up.

GB 42" with Oregon 91R ripping chain - new set up.

And cut consecutive planks off the same tree!

Really the GB bars are just for milling....

:001_smile:

That sounds like a more accurate test Rob, personally I just want to know how it compares with my current set up on a 36"

If I can get this current job finished I will hopefully get a spare day next week to experiment :-)