Milling Douglous Fir is there a market?

Jontreasure

Hi All

I have a large Douglous fir stem with poor acess it will have to be milled on site. I feel it would be a great waste to burn it all. I guess my question is what kind of market for the timber is there and what sizes would be most useful?

Many thanks

In advance.

Jon

doug fir is an excellent construction and joinery timber and i don't know why 100s of tons are logged up every year when it could be milled up and used.

laws should be in place so any good trunk get milled and used rather than logged.

yes there is a market.

green you can sell it to the construction side or if you can get it kiln dried then sell it to joiners.

how big is the trunk?

I have milled up a few doug fir logs. I made a 32mm thick fence for my garden last year with 125mm square fence posts. Its 2.4m high and wont blow down like my neighbours all do unless a hurricane comes directly through my garden! I am in the process of building another kiln to dry my hardwoods and I am using df for the frame. My firewood shack outside is also made from df. Sure beats buying wood from Jewsons or any other timber yard. Its a pretty versatile wood and much better than scots pine or any spruce.

I like milling it , cuts nice and its light compared to other timbers...used it with larch and pine on a new shed,all the beams in top pic are all Douglas with the exception of maybe a few larch.

[ATTACH]163625[/ATTACH]

Very nice shed Matty, puts my curvey ones here to shame! Do you mill with a bandsaw or Alaskan?