milled timber wanted for a bar / shelf

bigdave

hi

a friend of mine is opening a restaurant & is in the fitting out stage he is looking for a piece of timber milled into a 2-3 inch thick but still with the bark on the edges to use as a shelf behind the bar & maybe a second piece to use as a bar / counter top preferably about 15-20 feet long if that's possible/viable in one length

the questions are

what type of timber would be best

what widths are available

is there anyone near Leeds (or within reasonable distance) who could supply

and what sort of ball park cost would a piece of timber that size be?

he is also looking for some 20 inch diameter circular boards to use as serving boards if there's anybody who makes that sort of thing

cheers Dave

If your wanting something dry and seasond you might struggle as that's quite a lump for someone to store, I have a large lump of redwood that might do the tops but it's still in the round,

Pm me a number and I'll give you a call about it.

sent while pretending to do something important on my mobile.

Many English grown timbers in bar widths, {24 inch plus.} will warp & twist badly even at 2 to 3 inch thick.

The exceptions bring cedars, {far to soft for public bar use, you can dig a hole in it with your finger nail...} or sweet chestnut. {If straight grained.}

Sadly best materials for that size & use are from old growth Asian, African & south American timbers, unless you can find a supplier of many years air dried, then kilned or central heating cooked for a few years & planed flat & true & left in the bar environment for a few months before re. planning.{Like the old elm bar tops cut at 3 to 4 inches ending up 1.25 to to 2 inches after final fit & planning that many old English pubs used when they couldn't afford heavy mahogany like specie. {utile.sapelli & originally a lifetime plus ago... Caribbean Mahogany.}& could carry the wastage of 50% planed off. {Of course Elm was one of the cheapest timbers in the old days before Dutch elm Disease.{& especially after it first hit...}

If it was my bar Id be looking for imprted Padauk or similar.

Hardly warps after planning when dry , hard & reliable, even with much moisture being dumped on only one side of it.: {just like a bar top.}thumbup1:

spiral

I had bright idea of buying old fashioned zinc bar from french cafe to use in my kitchen as a worktop

Abandoned it when I found they were £15k + as others had thought it a good idea too

Mate put big piece of elm ( i think ) as a worktop, warped horribly after year or so .....

A few decades ago I used to drink & eat occasionally at "Le Grand Zanc" {sp} in mommarte , Paris... {Best crème Caramel Ive ever had & I haven't even got a sweet tooth...}

The old Parisian Zinc bars were amazing...Built over realy heavy weight Mahogany's & so neatly finished... very early 20th century craftsmanship Id guess...

Spiral