What does a Groundworker do/need to know?

rmSmit

Sent CV for GW job, got call from recruiter going through a few things, I have done a bit of gardening and have trailer license that's why they called, used all the stuff he talked about, getting another call soon from another person, I imagine for a more thorough talk.

So what are the things a GW in a landscaping sense need to know?

Laying slabs, putting up fences, striming, weeding, chainsawing, they a whole load more??

Thanks for any help.

its more to do with attitude.a lad willing to learn and who does a good tidy job will go a lot further than someone who knows it all and wont learn from others who have been doing the job for a long time. a polite and confident manner is more important on domestic jobs than skill level.as the person employing you should know what he is doing.jake

its more to do with attitude.a lad willing to learn and who does a good tidy job will go a lot further than someone who knows it all and wont learn from others who have been doing the job for a long time. a polite and confident manner is more important on domestic jobs than skill level.as the person employing you should know what he is doing.jake

Could you state some of the equipment/skills you would need to know, strimmers, mowers, chainsaws, what kind of chemicals, other tools etc?

Why wouldn't you have a good attitude, that pretty much goes for any job no, professionalism in the job?

I am worried there will be things I have no idea about of will take a while to learn and they will expect me to know them already, but as it low wage I can't see that there will be too many things....

i wouldnt worry ..no one knows everything but as long as you are a good learner you will soon get the hang of it . i had a laddie once staight out of college with more tickets than i could ever read but he took 45 mins to fell a 8 inch spruce tree (after texting his mates a lot!!) he lasted one day and bye bye:laugh1:

no two tree are the same and in this game no two jobs are the same ,you cant beat experience but you all need to start somewhere,as i say its not what you know but its the abillity to adapt to particular circumstances and to be able to think on your feet that is more important .if you were a bricklayer yes its same oh same oh boring and repetitive work but skilled too.

Cheers, I don't think there will be any chainsawing as I don't have the certs anyway, just general stuff I suspect.

What certs do you need for chainsaw anyway, there seem to be loads of different courses, do you need a CSCS card also?