someone told me a much quicker way to rig but is it safe?

samiad

Ive been working with a rope access/sailor guy who was becoming frustrated with me fiddling with timber hitches and running bowlines. He suggested I just use a screwgate karabiner, marked up for just this purpose and then to run the half hitch then just clip back to the rope. Had to admit its faster by a way, especially if your a bit slow on the rigging like me. He reckons its good for all light to medium weight work but I've had some near misses rigging just recently and wanted to run this by you guys. What do you think?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

strange that, I've clicked public. Ah well you've reassured me anyhow. you can do it but nothing too big? il practice my knots! i take a while on timber hitch and find it tricky to get bowline snug. is a good way to tie it on loosely the run all slack out from the knot and trace back to pulley? I'm on the beginners guide to rigging thread before pub in a minute! cheers chaps!

I use a triple locking steel karabiner on the end of most of my rigging ropes, its quicker and I have never had one fail. Its also tidier, and eliminates any unseen knot tails getting caught by the saw.

I never use it for the purposes of pulling trees over or anything like that though, Its not worth risking the gear getting crushed on impact.

Ive been working with a rope access/sailor guy who was becoming frustrated with me fiddling with timber hitches and running bowlines. He suggested I just use a screwgate karabiner, marked up for just this purpose and then to run the half hitch then just clip back to the rope. Had to admit its faster by a way, especially if your a bit slow on the rigging like me. He reckons its good for all light to medium weight work but I've had some near misses rigging just recently and wanted to run this by you guys. What do you think?

All very well for non-shockloaded situations your sailor buddy's idea, but tehre's a reason or two why it's not done that way in tree work. You can't pre-tighten the connection with his method, but that's exactly what happens with timber hitch. Plus with a bit of practice, on small stuff like in the vid you could with a bit of practice tie a timber hitch in less time, and when your fingers are cold you won't have to fiddle with screwgates of tri-locks. And when you get to bigger stuff, you'll only try the sailor method until you get a piece slide out of the 'hitch'. Then if you and the groundy have escaped injury, you'll probably just get a sling or take notches out and use a timber hitch.

Work on your hitches, I say. Tie them loose and tighten them once they are tied. Don't fanny about trying to tuck ropes through an already half-tightened hitch. With a heavy enough stopper knot you can just about flip a timber hitch with one hand then pull it tight.

Started using slings n screw gate krabs for lowering (nothing huge) about a year ago and haven't looked back or damAged any kit etc and you can have 2or3 'pre slung' while waiting for rope to return, has speeded things up a bit:) But still use hitches etc as well

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk