The Great Escape

rovers90

Well, today marks the 70th anniversary of the real great escape. 76 brave men escaped from Sagan camp - considered escape proof by the Germans because it was so far away from any neutral countries and under a foot of top soil was sand so it was very hard to tunnel in to and very easy to spot if it was spread about outside. Of the 76, only 3 made it home; 73 were recaptured but only 13 were returned to the camp. The remaining 50 were executed by order of Hitler.

The ingenuity of the escape committee beggars belief and there wasn't much they could not use - rubber soles from boots were removed to make stamps for passes; waist cord from pyjamas was used as wicks in home made candles. I certainly don't think 19 and 20 year olds of todays generation would have the first clue what to do.

The idea was not just to get home but to cause massive disruption among the German forces and this they achieved as divisions were pulled from other areas to hunt them down.

I think we all need to raise a glass to the 76.

Well, today marks the 70th anniversary of the real great escape. 76 brave men escaped from Sagan camp - considered escape proof by the Germans because it was so far away from any neutral countries and under a foot of top soil was sand so it was very hard to tunnel in to and very easy to spot if it was spread about outside. Of the 76, only 3 made it home; 73 were recaptured but only 13 were returned to the camp. The remaining 50 were executed by order of Hitler.

The ingenuity of the escape committee beggars belief and there wasn't much they could not use - rubber soles from boots were removed to make stamps for passes; waist cord from pyjamas was used as wicks in home made candles. I certainly don't think 19 and 20 year olds of todays generation would have the first clue what to do.

The idea was not just to get home but to cause massive disruption among the German forces and this they achieved as divisions were pulled from other areas to hunt them down.

I think we all need to raise a glass to the 76.

:thumbup1: Well said

Yes agree fully.

But that was always the order of any pow. To disrupt the enemy in any way they can. If it meant the camp had to double the guards then that was less soldiers on the front.

I always watch that film.

I did see the special time team dig on the tunnels. It's well worth a watch.