which type of rope for tree climbing ?

andrew_ysk

Hii,

I have being 7 years in rock climbing, but to tree climbing i am a newbie..

may i know which type of rope should i get for tree climbing ? either rope climbing or arborist climbing....

i am looking for a budget rope but safe to do arborist climbing.. because i got several big trees in my yard that need some hair cut.. they are way to big and tall.

also, where can i get a budget but able to do the job for a rigging pulley and rigging line when i chainsaw them down.. don't want to ruin my shed.. :-)

i don't want to call outsider, i rather want to learn and experience myself.. that's me.. the spirit of learning and adventure..

Pls if anybody know where to buy the ropes and gears at good price, pls do drop me a message. need them very soon..

i will appreciate your help

i am in UK and sometime in germany..

thank you.

truly

Andrew

[email protected]

Seriously speaking, and assuming this isn't a wind up, using a chainsaw from a rope and harness isn't something you ought to be learning on a "suck it and see" basis.

When it goes wrong it goes quick and badly

If you are going to DIY it, rope wise Yale XTC is a good first rope, for lowering I would go with Teufelberger Liros

Have a care, gravity always wins

Don't do it yourself, that's my advice.

Yesterday I took down a Birch tree about 20m high. The following things were involved, without which the job might have been possible but would have been more dangerous or difficult.

2 13mm ropes

2 prussik loops

Spikes

Chainsaw trousers

Chainsaw boots

Helmet with visor and ear muffs

Work positioning (not rock climbing) harness

Silky saw and scabbard

Top handled saw

18" ground saw

Bag of tools for bar cleaning and chain tensioning

2 fit and strong sensible and knowledgeable guys on the ground

2 pulleys

2 1/2 tonne pulleys

13mm lowering rope

Snapgate, trilock and screwgate pulleys in steel and aluminium

An insurance policy

1000+ days post-qualification experience

Flying capstan and 1 tonne strop

Wire cored swedish strop

Sorry, but I am not going to recommend any brands to you because I don't think you should try it yourself and I don't want to encourage you.

Rock climbing and tree work are quite differrent. The former is thrill-seeking, backed up by dynamic fall-arrest equipment. The latter is risk minimisation by non-dynamic work positioning equipment. And when you bring a chanisaw up a tree,the dangers multiply. Then when you start shock-loading a tree during rigging, it's gettign way way beyond the amateur.

How about you get a local company to do it on the proviso that they let you help with the ground work? Then you can watch and experience it. They may even let you climb the tree on their kit once they have their top rope in and before they start dismantling?

Seriously speaking, and assuming this isn't a wind up, using a chainsaw from a rope and harness isn't something you ought to be learning on a "suck it and see" basis.

When it goes wrong it goes quick and badly

If you are going to DIY it, rope wise Yale XTC is a good first rope, for lowering I would go with Teufelberger Liros

Have a care, gravity always wins

hii treequip,

is Teufelberger Liros a rope or lanyard ? i can't find it anywhere on google.