Question time!

Mull

Not many " big wigs" on it tonight btw, but one panel member, when asked if Scotland could keep the "pound" (and this politician was preaching "better together") said " why should they keep the ENGLISH POUND".

Is that a sensible thing to say?

IMO I think not!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Scots go for independence then the statement would be factually correct.

The Jocks are living in cloud cuckoo land if they think they can go for independence AND still be involved in the decision making processes of the Bank of ENGLAND when making economic policy.

Salmond has been ducking this issue throughout the campaign and I can't make up my mind whether he is being disingenuous or is just stupid. He is trying to make out it is a simple problem to resolve but it isn't.

It has absolutely nothing to do with "attitudes" its a matter of fact.

It's the bank of England.

The Bank of England issues notes and coins so technically it is the English pound.

How to win friends and influence people!!

Haha!

So a " United Kingdom " is ruled by an English pound and not a "United Kingdom pound" which would include, wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland?

!

This is the issue Salmond doesn't seem to grasp.

At the moment economic policies are determined by the Bank of England taking account of the entire UK.

If Scotland goes for independence the B of E will still make policy decisions but without accounting for the interests of Scotland.

The fact that Scots think that is somehow unfair shows a real attitude problem.

Again, your comment about making friends etc is most telling.

As soon as the debate hits practical issues that will make a huge difference to the future of an independent Scotland, some people start squealing.

It would be totally out of order to remain silent on the issue and it is a matter that was always going to cause friction when the realities of the independence thing came home to roost.

At the risk of being flippant , decisions in parliament and B of E are made by eton educated numbskulls who have virtually no handle on reality whatsoever!

The top man at the BofE is actually a Canadian but I can see that recognising that fact would undermine your "toff" shot.

As for having a handle on reality, you mean like the chairman of the Environment Agency, Lord Smith of Finsbury, that well known labour politician? Or Gordon (no more boom and bust ) Brown who will go down in history as the worst PM ever (and who now appears more intent on making money for his errrr charity than representing his constituents).

Another interpretation could be that the much of the damage caused by the last government was orchestrated by a Scottish cabal (several of whom also had a private education)…..

In some respects you are lucky, at least you have the opportunity of voting on independence.

South of the border we are stuck with the decision in the same way that we have to suffer Scottish MPs who still vote on matters that have absolutely no impact on them or their constituents because the responsibility has been devolved to the Scottish parliament but such is their arrogance that they still get involved and vote presumably out of political spite.

….and don't get me started on the Barnet formula.:lol:

The top man at the BofE is actually a Canadian but I can see that recognising that fact would undermine your "toff" shot.

As for having a handle on reality, you mean like the chairman of the Environment Agency, Lord Smith of Finsbury, that well known labour politician? Or Gordon (no more boom and bust ) Brown who will go down in history as the worst PM ever (and who now appears more intent on making money for his errrr charity than representing his constituents).

Another interpretation could be that the much of the damage caused by the last government was orchestrated by a Scottish cabal (several of whom also had a private education)…..

In some respects you are lucky, at least you have the opportunity of voting on independence.

South of the border we are stuck with the decision in the same way that we have to suffer Scottish MPs who still vote on matters that have absolutely no impact on them or their constituents because the responsibility has been devolved to the Scottish parliament but such is their arrogance that they still get involved and vote presumably out of political spite.

….and don't get me started on the Barnet formula.:lol:

Not standing up for previous labour governments here, or Scottish politicians in Westminster, my point was that " better together" campaigners seem to do more to alienate folk north of the border than they do to get them on side!

You might as well give us a lecture on the Barnet formula, it will be one of many different versions that you will describe as "fact"!

Aside from not having had a tv for 15+ years, I stopped watching QT when Sir Robin Day left. There is rarely a challenging debate and the politicians rarely answer the questions posed, merely stumble into their pre-prepared soap box diatribes about the opposition.

In answer to one of the points raised above, internationally our currency is recognised as GBP or Sterling, not 'The English Pound'.

Is the Barnet formula something to do with shampoo?