Aspen Fuel

What is the benefit with Aspen Fuel??

Many say its easy as its pre-mixed, but its really easy to mix a 5l can with 2T oil. :001_smile:

5l of regular petrol and 2t fuel lasts me a while. And seems to be cheaper than Aspen. And my saws run very efficient on the mix so saying Aspen is more efficient and lasts longer is not true as I tried some today, and my saws spent the Aspen faster than the mix with Husqvarna XP 2T oil. :001_rolleyes:

What are your views and am I missing something here??:blushing:

Sorry if I offend or annoy anyone who is Pro ASPEN :001_smile:

Check the aspen thread. I use it and have done for 3 years now. In brief, your saws don't stink the work site out and make you feel sick, no one can mix fuel wrong, it's not bad for you like normal fuel, it can last for 7 years on your shelf, It won't rot your plastic petrol pipe or diaphragm.

I can't see why the saw would use more full using Aspen than regular 2-stroke pre-mix.

The claim that it lasts longer, refers to the fact that it absorbs less water while in the can. And while regular pre-mix 'goes off' in a few weeks, (and in some saws this can be a problem). Aspen is stable for 5yrs. from manufacture. Plus it hasn't got so many nasty substances added to it. So especially good for days around hedges and milling.

Have a gander at the 'One reason I use Aspen' thread.

Edited by TGB

There are many threads on this, but from my point of view there are three main advantages in no particular order.

Firstly, it is consistent. Each batch is labelled and identified. I had two pots and pistons taken out by a bad batch of petrol (not supermarket) and Stihl confirmed it was the fuel but there is no way to prove that the fuel in your can comes from a particular garage some time later. This caused over £650 of parts damage, plus repair costs. That's a lot of Aspen.

Secondly, Aspen doesn't go off in the can or in the saw. If you have saws you don't use frequently then this is really useful as you don't have to drain the tanks. Pump fuel also contains solvents which penetrate the rubber, causing it to harden when it dries out. This means that the saws which are used infrequently with pump fuel have a tendency to need replacement rubber components more often, and if you get an air leak you risk damage to the pot and piston too through seizure. Aspen doesn't have the same solvents and therefore doesn't cause the same problems.

Thirdly, pump fuel contains 2% benzene. This is a significant carcinogen. 2-stroke engines typically only burn about 2/3 of the fuel, so the remainder comes out in the exhaust as vapour. That's 0.6% benzene. I would rather avoid this. There are also other nasty things in pump fuel which cause me to get headaches after prolonged exposure to the exhaust, eg milling or using a hedge trimmer. Aspen doesn't do this.

That's why I use Aspen :001_smile:

Alec

There are many threads on this, but from my point of view there are three main advantages in no particular order.

Firstly, it is consistent. Each batch is labelled and identified. I had two pots and pistons taken out by a bad batch of petrol (not supermarket) and Stihl confirmed it was the fuel but there is no way to prove that the fuel in your can comes from a particular garage some time later. This caused over £650 of parts damage, plus repair costs. That's a lot of Aspen.

Secondly, Aspen doesn't go off in the can or in the saw. If you have saws you don't use frequently then this is really useful as you don't have to drain the tanks. Pump fuel also contains solvents which penetrate the rubber, causing it to harden when it dries out. This means that the saws which are used infrequently with pump fuel have a tendency to need replacement rubber components more often, and if you get an air leak you risk damage to the pot and piston too through seizure. Aspen doesn't have the same solvents and therefore doesn't cause the same problems.

Thirdly, pump fuel contains 2% benzene. This is a significant carcinogen. 2-stroke engines typically only burn about 2/3 of the fuel, so the remainder comes out in the exhaust as vapour. That's 0.6% benzene. I would rather avoid this. There are also other nasty things in pump fuel which cause me to get headaches after prolonged exposure to the exhaust, eg milling or using a hedge trimmer. Aspen doesn't do this.

That's why I use Aspen :001_smile:

Alec

top answer:thumbup:

I will "Not use anything else but Aspen in any of my saws". whilst i was in France last year i had to buy the Stihl equivalent. you can't get it over here but i did "import" a couple of cans.

Stihl dealers are getting the stihl moto in stock now/soon