Moles

rcarolina

They used to bug me, but the one I've had about 3 yrs now is not too bad, once he's made the initial tunnels the new mounds are few and far between.

I like the nice crumbly soil from the mounds to use in a potting compost, saves sieving it, I reckon the tunnels add natural drainage too, grass is in better shape since i gave up trying to catch them :lol:

Bit peeved with the bugger that tunneled under a new hedge planting for best part of 1/4 mile, lost 10% of the whips as they were just hanging in mid air in the mole tunnel! I'd bury that bugger alive if I caught him :laugh1:

They are fairly easy to trap, I usually manage to trap one within 24hours of setting the traps, I once had one within 20 minutes!

Usually set about 6 traps at a time when I have enough hills to find the routes, and on average would get about 6 moles a year from my lawn.

We are by a river and they are semi-aquatic so have a lot of them. We also have shallow soil so they do what's called 'spooking' where they dig a spine run along a hedgerow and side tunnels off just below the surface which can break your ankle.

I trap them - use some really good stainless steel traps from the US which are very efficient. I noticed they were back at the weekend, got one last night and am just off out to see if I've got the next. I reckon I've got 4 and should have the lot by the end of the week.

Alec

I tried windmills, they did not work.

I tried mothballs, they pushed them out on top of their hills,

I tried putting the car exhaust down the hole, no luck.

I tried flooding them out with hose pipes, that was a waste of water.

I tried a 47kg bottle of propane followed by a match, had lots of volcanoes but the moles just liked the warmth.

I tried a sonic probe, the moles surrounded it, they loved the vibes.

I do not have a shotgun, so I sat for hours with a speargun, I missed every time.

I tried bashing them with a shovel, but broke the handle.

So I tried traps, and they worked!

Well we (nearly 5yr old daughter and I) went to check the traps - no luck yet. Will try again in the morning. I have never found anything so effective at getting No1 daughter ready for school and out of the house on time, sometimes even early, as the promise of going and checking the mole traps. I have no idea why but long may it last!

Alec

edit: 3yr old daughter in the avatar just likes jumping on the molehills in her wellies.

Well we (nearly 5yr old daughter and I) went to check the traps - no luck yet. Will try again in the morning. I have never found anything so effective at getting No1 daughter ready for school and out of the house on time, sometimes even early, as the promise of going and checking the mole traps. I have no idea why but long may it last!

Alec

edit: 3yr old daughter in the avatar just likes jumping on the molehills in her wellies.

Reminds me of my daughter when she was young. Used to love giving guidance to me on shooting rabbits out of the bedroom window:001_smile: