Hetas

matthew65

I think this hetas thing is a load of rubbish...

my mate wanted a fire insalled and asked a few hetas installers to view his property and give him quotes.

they all told him different things and said that they wouldnt install his fire which was (brand new) and that he would have to buy a fire from them?.. when my mate did get his fire installed, the fire they provided was the next model down to what was going to be fitted in the first place....

money making con imo:thumbdown: (unregulated throughout)

Hetas is operating an independently monitored QC process. It puts into place certain procedures and systems that you are expected to put into place ( as I understand it). This allows among other things that logs in any given bag to be traceable to source and to have a moisture content of less than 25%. I think there is a size standard as well.

The Hetas name will offer a certain amount of reassurance to new firewood buyers but thats about it. I am a HETAS approved retailer, I did look at the firewood approval side but I am doing most of what they want anyway. All it does is add extra costs. If I was selling 2,000 tons a year then it would be worth looking at, under that then carry on. I believe the system is slowly catching on, Certainly Wood were one of the first members.

You would be better getting in with your local stove supplier.

A

Certainly Wood were one of the first members.

I think I'm right in saying that CW played a major part in defining the HETAS firewood spec. Certainly when I read it I was struck at how it suits a large business producing enormous quantities of firewood using automated machinery, and not a small business like mine that produces different sizes and grades for different customers.

Time will tell if customers latch on to it for the reassurance it provides (at a cost), or if they recognise that their local woodcutter offers better value, a better product, and a better service.

Educated customers are your friend. At least they are if you produce a quality product and offer a quality service.

I think this hetas thing is a load of rubbish...

my mate wanted a fire insalled and asked a few hetas installers to view his property and give him quotes.

they all told him different things and said that they wouldnt install his fire which was (brand new) and that he would have to buy a fire from them?.. when my mate did get his fire installed, the fire they provided was the next model down to what was going to be fitted in the first place....

money making con imo:thumbdown: (unregulated throughout)

im a HETAS stove installer i'll install a stove if the customer has supplied it , cant see why someone would turn away work just because they didnt supply the stove.

im a HETAS stove installer i'll install a stove if the customer has supplied it , cant see why someone would turn away work just because they didnt supply the stove.

hi steve thats what i thought.. i even asked them to do my mother an inglenook fireplace.... words i had returned where. (to complicated)?:confused1:

the ida of hetas, is good similar to the old oftec for oil and corgi for gas... (i know theyre superceded now) the idea of them certing firewood is imny opinion good as theres lots of rubbish out there and folks selling un seasoned stuff straight to burn.... though some is the buyer going for cheapest.... or thinking thy can burn anything and get away with out tar buildup

though i have had quite a lot of inconsistancy in dealing with them... when re lining chimneys.... it seems very arbitary and very much depends on who you get out or talk to.

certainly not cheap to join and the referesher courses are expensive too... but a standard for moisture content and seasoning in my opinion is a good thing.... will folks pay the extra though?

I have my wood burner sitting in my hall and awaiting installation. I've had a few quotes ranging from £1800 (and comes recommended) to nearly £3000. The burner is an 'approved' one as it has the metal tags (what a faff around that was) and I can't believe it costs more than having a Vailiant boiler put in with new tank and everything else excluding rads!

Can someone tell me where to find a defintive building reg document for the install of a wood burner. I'm in half mind to do this myself and pay the couple of hundred quid for building control to certificate. Some of the HETAS approved guys who came round to quote..... well hmmm. lets just say if there is a standard to follow from HETAS, there were some different interpretations of it.