4 mix advice

billy110

Hi all.

I have just bought a BR500 backpack blower off eBay and am looking for a bit of advice. The previous owner ran it on a 25:1 mix for some reason. Is there anything I can run through it to give it a blow out without damaging it or should I just run it on a 50:1 and leave it? I should add it has only had very light use and runs perfectly, just seeing if some preventative maintenance was in order!

If the oil you are using states a dilution ratio of 50:1 then 50:1 it is. Most, good oils from Stihl Husqnarna etc are 50:1 rated. Cheap, generic mineral rubbish oil from Halfords, b& q etc won't have a ratio stated on the bottle and that's where people go wrong. No need for a "blow though" (whatever that may be) just drain off and re-fill with known quality oil and fresh unleaded.

Thanks guys, I'll drain off what little fuel remains and put the correct through it. Regarding a blow out, I thought there may have been a treatment I could put through it to clean the carb after excessive oil has been put through. But as you say, I won't worry unless I notice a drop in performance. Thanks!

Stihl hp ultra is the one we were recommended to use after screwing up 3 br550 blowers one after the other. This was the advise given to us by our local stihl dealer as recommended at their last stihl dealer update. haven,t had one go since. Although I wouldn't,t buy another 4 mix engine again. The 2mix ones seem to be going fine - so far and we,re running them on normal two stroke