Husky MS 192 equiv?

Bealers

I'm not a carver, well unless you count a few mushrooms, but I want a small, easily handled small for coppicing with and I figured that a saw that you carvers rate is probably perfect for it.

I've already got a Husky 346XP which is great but even with a small bar it still feels too bulky for multi-stem fiddly work so I think a 30ish cc saw is what I'm after.

Searching this section it seems the Stihl 192c (I've found a MS192c-e online, what does the e signify?) is what some of you recommend but then others of you are saying it's more of a 'home' saw and the 200T is the one to go far. Problem is that I don't want a top handled.

So, 2 questions:

1) What's the quality of the 192? Home or not is it well made?

2) Is there a Husky carver friendly saw? I assume the 339XP is the pro equivalent, but is there a cheaper 'home' alternative that you'd recommend?

Cheers

To put you right on the ms200, is is rear handled, the top handle is ms200T.

The same goes for the 192, there are both top and rear handled versions available.

The 192 is a bit of an in-between kind of saw. It feels better than say a 180 or a 210 or similar but it's not a full pro saw either. Most people really rate theirs!

People that have a rear-handled 200 rate theirs a lot higher still though, but very pricey!

The 'E' stands for ... "Stihl ErgoStart (E) makes it possible to start the machine with very little effort. Lightweight, strength saving start-up is achieved with an additional spring accumulator between the crankshaft and starter cord reel which reduces the force needed to start the machine. Even if you ony pull the starting cord slowly the engine starts easily"

I bought the 192 for carving as it is the lightest saw I could find and what with me being a girl ..., I love it.

The fact that those stihl carving bars are of an atrocious quality isnt going to help.

Never having never yet used or owned a carving saw myself, how are they poor quality?

If the bar shown has only had one hours use, I can see two faults straight away in paint finish and heat build up. Paint finish obviously doesn't really matter, but the heat build up isn't a good thing. Is there more besides these two faults, or in the case of the heat build up, has the chain simply been run too tightly?

Edited by EddieJ

I was tracking that ms192C, but gave up on it when it went over £200 given they can be got brand new for around £300.

Just managed to 'win' the rear handled ms200, it has got a 12" bar but I may look at getting a carving bar if I get into it more. Quite like the idea of making some simple sculptures, though the genius works of art I see posted on here are forever out of my reach.