selling artics of timber to joe public

Joy Yeomans

Been getting alot of people asking for us to sell artics of unseasoned timber in lengths to them, now i dont have a problem selling to our regular customers, who i know are bona fide firewood merchants etc, but i really dont want to get into selling to joe public who says my husband has bought a chainsaw to cut up our wood for next year, can you deliver 10t of long lengths of wood and put in a stack for him to "go at"

i explained that timber stacks in a domestic setting are dangerous and timber in itself suffers tension and compression forces that for the untrained are extremely dangerous - as is a chainsaw in untrained hands, this has got us out of the delivery for now

but how do you lot feel about this, do you deliver and take the money?

joy

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you, problem is times are hard for many and thanks to the diy age of the internet, anyone has a go. I wouldn't. Ive have been asked to "part with!" lengths of unprocessed timber. I think if you just say you are a wholesaler to vat customers or some other catagory who is your average customer, it will save alot of backlash later, buddys are only going to give out your contact details to others, you are more likely to get rogues sniffing around. Also payment issues more likely. "I will pay you when I know how many bags I get out of it" when the truck you have paid for arrives with timber to collect the promised cheque.

Trouble is if you don't sell them an artic load there's always someone else who will. Personally I would find the most gnarly hard splitting wood I could.:lol: By the time they cut it and split it and stored it for 12 months, bought a chainsaw, fuel and oil, wear and tear, bars/chains, axe etc, they may just see how much work goes into processing a load of logs and not moan at the price of seasoned split logs delivered :001_rolleyes:

I dont have an artic, but I will sell 4 wheeler loads to anyone with a greasy envelope stuffed with cash.

I don't sell any processed firewood so that aspect of it doesnt concern me, however the odd one or two individuals who do buy full loads from me are very unlikely to buy split seasoned wood anyway, I think it is a different market altogether.

If I was in your shoes I dont think I would some people are just dangerous and have no sense when it comes to using a chainsaw . But im curious how much would an artic load cost anyway?One day our supply will run low its always handy to know what price it can be bought in for im looking at doing firewood as a sideline when I set up business in the near future.

Do it.

Your sounding like a Petrol Station Owner who dosn't want to sell Petrol to Young People in case they crash.

Nail. Head. Struck hard :thumbup1:

Either Darwin theory comes to pass or they do actually know what they are doing or will come to respect the real cost of splitting timber?