Topping

Taupotreeman

Working for a customer the other day and saw these. The first couple are privately owned and the second are council. This is the type of thing many customers (including council) are wanting in this area in order to maintain views for residents. What I'm interested to know is; if you would do this kind of work, if not how long would you refuse before relenting, if at all? Most customers in the area are wanting trees topped like this and are happy to move on to somebody that will do it if you aren't. Including the council, this makes up about 60% of requested works so far so would it leave you with a moral quandry?

DSCF0128.jpg.4a8667f0a914670f224da1d3754ecb41.jpg

DSCF0130.jpg.9bc94b39954944bcb47b82bad12e4501.jpg

DSCF0129.jpg.1fd0d4765a5c9977c4a8ec1d68636e85.jpg

DSCF0127.jpg.54e62a3778b0ab61517b291fb6b84351.jpg

DSCF0126.jpg.6f1b46caeb7ff796709a8436ea001eac.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can only advise the customer so far at the end of the day whatever they want to do goes as far as i can see. If you don't do it there's always someone else not too far behind that will do what they want, and surely when you have a family with bills to pay morals aren't too much of an issue are they:lol:. Pride comes before a fall.

I dont have a problem doing a bit of topping at a customers request.

I reckon the tree would rather be topped than felled and I fell plenty of healthy trees.:thumbup1:

At least I can feel better in the knowledge that I can do a better job than some. ie, at least I wont wear spikes.:laugh1::lol:

Dito !!!

a jobs a job and money makes the world go around.

also kill plenty of good healthy trees at customers request.

you will never change the customers mind as to what they want from you

Dito !!!

a jobs a job and money makes the world go around.

also kill plenty of good healthy trees at customers request.

you will never change the customers mind as to what they want from you

Very true. You will never change a customers mind to sound sustainable tree work if you are a truely bad sale's person.

its against my intentions usually, but had to re-top 3 birch used as a tall hedge at the back of a garden, easy climbs, fun climbs actually, get to the top, start up the 200t and spin around. however when moving around i found the decayed branch stub, pulled myself up on it a bit too hard and crack off it came in my hand!

if you think about what we do to hedges, they are topped and shaped maybe a couple of times a year, and they have no problems, they come back fine.

Very true. You will never change a customers mind to sound sustainable tree work if you are a truely bad sale's person.

You should never change a customers mind since thats err not very ethical.

You should inform them of the different options and potential problems and let them decide what they want to do.:thumbup1:

You should never change a customers mind since thats err not very ethical.

You should inform them of the different options and potential problems and let them decide what they want to do.:thumbup1:

Point made I hope.

This is what we do best...sell tree heath & longevity which in turn makes good wrk's attiude & tree health in an urban envioment..