Deer

Thea

Well this should contain an awesome picture of a female red deer, except I forgot to charge the camera batteries, doh! Was climbing in the local woods again today and as a result of a not very self retrieving, self retrieving cambium saver had just started going back up the tree when this deer wanders over! I could tell it knew I was around somewhere but it seemed confused that it couldn't see me, as it was only looking at ground level! I must have only been about 15ft away from it :thumbup: It did eventually look up and see me and the expression on its face was so comical I could almost imagine it thinking WTF?? how come the human is up a tree?? :lol: even then it didn't run away just stood there staring at me for ages before eventually wandering off. :thumbup1:

Haha

was formative prunning on big estate on thursday and was taking a walking ipod on silky in hand etc and turn round and saw a deer stand about 7m away from staring at me and edgin closer I thought wow hes brave for a deer move about an inch to find my cammera and ran, still thought it was pretty special when I came back round to near where it was standing I found some old antilers on the ground in pretty good nick with some obvious signs of fighting.

left them in workshop as was in rush but willl get a picture monday of them. I htink there brilliant animals taste good too

I was once in my wood Thea, where the chip pile is .....

I was sat on the ground below the chip pile looking out with a combat jacket on and a green wooly hat when I heard a twig snap behind me.. I thought it was someone who had wandered down and hadn't seen me.

I thought if I turn round now I'm going to frighten them to death as it was getting dusk.

So I ever so slowly turned round to see a big stag, stood not 8ft behind me sniffing the air, I sat and watched him for a bit then I made a click with my tongue and he just sauntered off at his own pace.

When moments like that happen in nature it's awesome

. I htink there brilliant animals taste good too

Oh Bobby, you were doing soooo well, then threatening to eat Bambi just blew yu out of the water:lol::lol::lol:

:laugh1: but you just can't beat a good bambi burger!

I was once in my wood Thea, where the chip pile is .....

I was sat on the ground below the chip pile looking out with a combat jacket on and a green wooly hat when I heard a twig snap behind me.. I thought it was someone who had wandered down and hadn't seen me.

I thought if I turn round now I'm going to frighten them to death as it was getting dusk.

So I ever so slowly turned round to see a big stag, stood not 8ft behind me sniffing the air, I sat and watched him for a bit then I made a click with my tongue and he just sauntered off at his own pace.

When moments like that happen in nature it's awesome

Wow good moment! :thumbup1:

Really nice story Thea. :thumbup1:

I've got an incredible memory that on the face of it sounds fantastical, though is actualy true, and is one of my most enduring natural encounters.

Every couple of years or so, my family get together and rent one of the hunting lodges at Balmoral,

miles away from the castle up by Loch Muick.

First year, I had two great little forest adventures. One was stripping down & really getting back to nature for a very isolated 15 mins, which is another story, and the second was stalking an absolutely amazingly majestic Red (Monarch of the Glen type) Stag, through those very same pines.

You've breifly met me, and am sure you can tell I'm a bit of an urban dweller.

But little old non hunting me, managed to keep down wind of the beast through undultating ground & hiding between the trees.

After what seemed like an age (but was probably 5 minutes) eventually crept up to within about 12 yards of it, whilst it was refreshing itself from a spring down in a rockstrewn hollow. Managed a good couple of minutes just breathing in that adrenalin fuelled-awesome meeting, before he was 'bothered' about my presence, and just trotted off.

Suffice to say, i didnae have me camera with me that day.

That encounter will reside with me for all my urban living days. :001_cool:

a few shots from up on the estate, over the last ten years or so.

DSC04572.JPG.c754271034144cd90df240b97e16ef45.JPG

DSC04359.JPG.07f4a789c6e1ffcd1ffa884a77bbf53d.JPG

DSC04358.JPG.b651b86855a82f44ac1b317ec6df263c.JPG

DSC04353.JPG.257219a02d562e8c6d4bd4b1dc12ae8b.JPG

4.JPG.08f1bcd8b2c492531fe53bf7a0b91b73.JPG

Edited by Monkey-D