Coronet Attempts Thread

Dean Lofthouse

A while ago on the "To coronet or not to coronet" thread, it was suggested that everyone should have a go at a coronet cut with a lump of timber on the ground and post their results.

This is my first attempt, it took 4 minutes once I started cutting and was my first attempt, no second takes, so no spending all afternoon trying to get one perfect.

It has to be your first attempt and take no more than five minutes, no carving chisels or sanders boys.

My looks ok from one side but could be better from the other.

I like it pt :icon14:

Not sure youll get much response on the thread though, but hope i'm wrong.

I reckon ground practice is a tad unrealistic though, as work positioning whether from a harness or mewp is different because here your giving yourself 360 degree access on terra firma.

Which more often than not is not available up in the tree.

Don,t let MB and the unbelievers disuade any of you from giving it a go, but without wanting to sound too obvious,

watch out young arbs this is kick back city.

Good post :wave:

does the shape of it really matter. what you posted was definitely aesthetic from a anthropocentric viewpoint. does that make a blind bit of differnce to your average saproxylic organisim?

I just cut and make a very rough cut with a grid pattern. My thinking is that this would provide enough areas of shelter to create some microclimates. We did it in a park where they were also removing deadwood. seems a bit pointless in this instance to me.

Jamie