How do people get awsy with it.

john meehan

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Simplistically - because that's what the customer asked for and unless the tree are TPO'd etc. nobody checks/questions it.

If however the customer understood the immediate, medium and long-term effects, and future implications and management requirements, they may have chosen differently, i.e. if the consultant / contractor / advisor, advised them accordingly with a range of options and the pro's n con's.

Trouble is this takes time and relies on "the advisor" understanding such in the first place.

Problem is with stuff like this it often perpetuates, i.e. can you chop my tree like the ones next to the industrial units, and then it risks becoming the norm and people get conditioned to it.

The ISA leaflet - "Why Topping Hurts Trees" is excellent and one to give to customers who enquire about having their trees chopped :confused1:

Cheers,

Paul

So very true Paul.

Ive sent links to similar articles to disuade clients from topping trees.

One problem I have locally is that the neighbouring LA actually manage their tree stock very much like this, due to their historic management.

Edit: The other side of the coin, is to question the original planting specification. Johns lunchtime trees appear to be planted for screening purposes but are now too imposing. Should the planning department have agreed the planting spec at the time of the build?

Edited by Gary Prentice

Problem is with stuff like this it often perpetuates, i.e. can you chop my tree like the ones next to the industrial units, and then it risks becoming the norm and people get conditioned to it.

So true, where I am in france, everyone wants their silver birches totem pole'd like the council does....

I think its provabky tge grounds mai tence company that have organised it pretty shocking though.

It is fairly normal round here though unfortunatly.

As an industry i think we need to educate the public but feel we cant really when every sings off a different sheet.

Sent from my HTC One using Arbtalk mobile app

Educate the public!

Look at the title of this thread and the spoiling in tihs thraed.

I think its provabky tge grounds mai tence company that have organised it pretty shocking though.

]As an industry i think we need to educate the public but feel we cant really when every sings off a different sheet.

Sent from my HTC One using Arbtalk mobile app[/QUOT

what sort of tree are they?

I have thinned crown lifted and dead wooded 4 silver birch today on the back of someone's poor practise. Was going to take pics but it was chucking it down when we arrived so the phone stayed in the van.

Owners haven't been in the house long and the work was done before they moved in, the job spec was can you make the trees look as natural as possible no topping no large limb removals other than where needed due to previous work. It was a joy of a job to be honest made a nice change from take downs reductions or topping.

Slippy as hell with no spikes though!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

]As an industry i think we need to educate the public but feel we cant really when every sings off a different sheet.

Sent from my HTC One using Arbtalk mobile app[/QUOT

what sort of tree are they?

Can't you be a purist rather than pragmatist just fer once Mr Dempsey...we all know where this is going :biggrin:

Paul