Would This Work?

Haironyourchest

Thinking about the hazard presented by the top side of the chain - no need to give examples. Wouldn't this effectively render the top side less dangerous in the event of an accidental contact? I was thinking about gaffing out on a pole while starting the cut, that kind of thing - not to be used all the time but in higher than normal risk situations.

It would be an extension of the felling dogs, made of spring steel. The same width as the bar, and the two edges blunt or rounded to avoid snagging on wood fibres. Anyone know if this has been invented before?

4tjrppfm8XucrK2j7

597671c6a1a60_Photoon07-09-2016at09_31.jpg.85d17d87db62893b7e2a79c819307529.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It would have to be thinner than the chain/bar combo so it would follow it into the wood, but as the wood compresses behind the cut it would trap it.

I can't see it working.

That could be an issue...I imagine it being about an inch wide, and no thicker than the bar - maybe 2/3ds the thickness of the bar - so the chain width would be substantially thicker. Do you think there would be enough compression one inch back from the bar top to pinch? Oftentimes I buck halfway through a log under tension before it starts to pinch the bar. One would have to use it judiciously, more thinking of horizontal cuts on stems while gaffing, and I suppose a wedge would be required.

I think if it was only going to be fitted to saws used to crosscut very small stuff, where pinching wasn't an issue; or one never intended to bore or undercut, then it might be something to develop. Perhaps for the occasional firewood processing person. But other than that, it would make it too restrictive. But the occasional user will pay good money for a gadget, rather than get training and I presume that's the market you're aiming at.