Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Past Competitions View past competitions held at arbtalk.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-10   #1 (permalink)
Site Moderator, Raffle Sponsor 2013

Fungi on Parade

Competition time.

Have put together this line up of usual suspects for my apprentice, but reckon it could be a good wee little competition for At members.

You will need to submit full botanical names for all 9 shown Fungs in order.

Winner will receive a signed copy of a useful fungal Identification guide.
Sadly it will only be signed by me

Competition runs until the Friday 23rd of April.
One guess per person.
I will edit out your answers, so everyone can have an unbiased crack at it.
Winner will receive prize either at Capel or in the post.

This is only for the non fung fiends among us, so I'm afraid Mr Sorensen, Mr Hamma, Mr Bundle, Mr Giles & Mr Batiarb you are all excluded, sorry chaps

Specimens 1 through to 7, show an aditional feature, either underside or flesh.

I reserve the right to exclude non thought of pros/ringers throughout the duration, & will delete posts if necessary.
Please remember this is for those of you who will find it a challenge.

Best of luck

Attached Images

"
William Blake

TreeFung-ous

david.humphries@cityoflondon.gov.uk

Last edited by David Humphries; 09-04-10 at 06:58 AM..
Old 08-04-10   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2011

Re: Fungi on Parade

What an excelant idea david!

the lads will have some fun with this one! had to look twice at a couple myself!

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."~Arthur Schopenhauer (German philosopher, 1788-1860)

"The acquisition of any knowledge is always of use to the intellect, because it may thus drive out useless things and retain the good. For nothing can be loved or hated unless it is first known".~Leonardo da Vinci

"The scientific man does not aim at an immediate result. He does not expect that his advanced ideas will be readily taken up. His work is like that of the planter for the future. His duty is to lay the foundation for those who are to come, and point the way. He lives and labors and hopes".~Nikola Tesla

my desire to enlighten, out of love of neighbour
Old 08-04-10   #3 (permalink)
Senior member, Raffle Sponsor 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

That was SO easy! It has only taken me 20 minutes to sort out the ID.

(Now for number 2, then number 3 ... and .... then.......

Great idea - great fun! Thanks.
Old 08-04-10   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeDee View Post
That was SO easy! It has only taken me 20 minutes to sort out the ID.

(Now for number 2, then number 3 ... and .... then.......

Great idea - great fun! Thanks.
LMAO, when you can do it in 20 seconds I will add to the prizes!

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."~Arthur Schopenhauer (German philosopher, 1788-1860)

"The acquisition of any knowledge is always of use to the intellect, because it may thus drive out useless things and retain the good. For nothing can be loved or hated unless it is first known".~Leonardo da Vinci

"The scientific man does not aim at an immediate result. He does not expect that his advanced ideas will be readily taken up. His work is like that of the planter for the future. His duty is to lay the foundation for those who are to come, and point the way. He lives and labors and hopes".~Nikola Tesla

Old 08-04-10   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamadryad View Post
LMAO, when you can do it in 20 seconds I will add to the prizes!
I wish! I can identify at about the same speed as fungal growth!
Old 08-04-10   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeDee View Post
I wish! I can identify at about the same speed as fungal growth!
lol, though some grow rapido!

Old 08-04-10   #7 (permalink)

I wonder how many PMs all the fungi nuts are going to get over the next week or so!

No i wont help you all cheat iether!

Whats the fungus book your giving away david, it best not be the Big shwarze volume i lent ya!

Old 08-04-10   #8 (permalink)
Site Moderator, Raffle Sponsor 2013

Quote:
I wonder how many PMs all the fungi nuts are going to get over the next week or so!

No i wont help you all cheat iether!

Whats the fungus book your giving away david, it best not be the Big shwarze volume i lent ya!
Was thinking Kiezer, but now Schwarze, there's an idea.
Just so happen to have a spare copy at hand

"
William Blake

TreeFung-ous

david.humphries@cityoflondon.gov.uk
Old 08-04-10   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
lol, though some grow rapido!
They are probably some of the many that I don't know!
Old 08-04-10   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey-D View Post
Was thinking Kiezer, but now Schwarze, there's an idea.
Just so happen to have a spare copy at hand

LOL, add my Stamets book, and i will sign it!

I reckon whoever gets em all deserves it!