How to start

Ollybean

I have trees, on my own plot of land, that I cut for firewood. It has a public footpath on it and for my own and general interest I would like to leave some stumps to carve but don't have any experience or artistic skill. Are there any books or youtubes recommended ?

I just youtube, I would say pick something easy, but they all look easy till you try it. Get a picture and have to hand to keep referring to, as much as you have that image in your head it don't turn out like it. Take today, was going to do a pumpkin, youtubed it, turned out as an apple, hey ho!

Youtube, google images for visual references, practice drawing , that helps you see form and finally practice on your firewood first. that way you can still burn it if you don't like the end results. It's difficult to get any detail with a standard bar, are there any carvers near by? Once you get into it you'll be after a carving bar :thumbup1:

Waiting for my copies to arrive.

Have done a bear, but as the missus calls it, a comedy bear. Done a variety of mushrooms and a couple of owls (no feet), and trying to do a badgers head which has turned out more like a rat. She is not backward with coming forward about taking the p, but we all have to start somewhere.

Hi ollybean,

As the other guys said, youtube & carving books are good source of reference,

you can also find carving templates on the net or draw your own

& check out carving shows/Demo's / competitions.

The most important thing is to have fun & practice, practice, practice,

mistakes will happen but learn by them & soon everything will fall into place.