A new age in chainsaw milling dawns with the Granberg Flip and Rip

Rob D

It's been a few years to get to this stage but now it looks like the new carriage mill from Granberg is almost ready for production. Erik Granberg himself came over from the US to help me get it set up.

What's the big deal?

Well here's a few things:

• You can have a saw and bar up to 20" which can flip from horozontal to vertical - that's a first hence the name flip and rip.
  • A winding handle pulls the saw down the log
  • Another handle allows you to change horozontal position while you are winding to allow the saw to follow bumpy logs
  • You can put a 50" saw and bar in for all out wide effortless slabbing
  • It is super accurate! and with a smooth tunring motion boards come out with a very smooth surface.
  • It'll be very easy to quarter saw straight out of the log (I'll be trying this next week)
  • You can re saw thick boards
  • To make posts and beams is far easier
  • You're no longer near the fumes of the saw
  • You can cut 3 or so planks without having to take them off the log
  • Remote throttle operation or you can lock off the throttle on full - a touch on the lever releases it

There's still some tweaking to be done but after cutting a few planks all I wanted to do was to cut a few more!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvM034guZo8&list=UU9eV7377LRZ9H98BQowuSbQ&index=2&feature=plcp]F&R taster - YouTube[/ame]

Please bear in mind this is not a glossy sales video just a quick taster of how things work. The vibration with the 880 in there could have been reduced by having the saw up closer to the mounting brackets - I'm still learning!

:biggrin:

photo.JPG.28a32aedfe7d8a4b1c0c967c8cda0df5.JPG

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool indeed Rob, I have only got about a weeks milling under my belt and I can relate to all your points.

I am going to go onto Aspen as our heads were spinning with the double 088 on a sunny day and I couldn't be otherwd setting up for vertical cuts!

I can see one of those coming north of the border when the times right:thumbup1:

I want one glad I haven't had the money to get a m7 yet as will be saving for this insted. Looks like it should handle bigger logs with less lifting.

It'll handle up to 3.5 foot log as long as you position it correctly.

The thing I found with it is your chainsawmilling and it's easy.... there's no straining, less fumes, you want to keep milling!

In short it's very very good - ok no doubt there will be some teething issues but it works really well.

Erik Granberg milled a 7 foot walnut log with a previous modified version - planks cam out perfect!

:biggrin:

597661bf17658_Flip7.JPG.2323f1b4de99f6e58e287191beb06f22.JPG

597661bf14aff_Flip6.JPG.1615717c4a2cd34fa866e1f1532cd9ed.JPG

597661bf10864_Flip5.JPG.382f3ae6f819d79ee3b4ad03f8a49418.JPG

597661bf0bc96_Flip4.JPG.a702af38faa8faa8ccd40dfa206ebb3f.JPG

597661bf071a2_Flip3.JPG.f260a2be37b00e7136882e3ec717bccb.JPG

597661bf03942_Flip2.JPG.d64df804955a57a17689934a6bee0bed.JPG

597661bef29cb_Flip1.JPG.7b7d382df18d3e6e65a08fba5e3b08aa.JPG