Climbing queen palms, where to begin?

n8huntsman

Hello. I've been trimming queens with an extension ladder, but now they are approaching 30' and the ladder is becoming dangerous. I was really considering using a tree stand and flip line but after some reading also want to consider more traditional approaches such as... an SRT and ascender maybe? Can someone give me some suggestions on methods to use so that I can begin to research this stuff so that I can do it in the safest manner possible? Climbing with ropes has been intriguing to me, I've just never done it. If this is a better method than the tree stand, I'd prefer it, just want to start small to learn. Some things I'm concerned with are throwing a rope over the palm. I don't want to hurt the heart of the palm. I'd also like the ability to use the same technique on smaller, 20', palms without hurting them. This will give me the opportunity to learn as they grow and approach 40'. Is there a better technique such as a false crotch that can be used on these smaller trees? Maybe use a throw line and pull up the false crotch?

Thanks

I would really suggest a lift or bucket to trim your Queen palms. I live in SW Florida and I have never seen anyone using a climbing belt in conjunction with a SRT and ascender.

I have seen climbers with belts/ spikes trimming Washingtonian palms with no damage, however spikes used on a Queen palm would be bad news. The problem with throwing a rope over or through the center of the palm would to great of a risk for the hearth of the palm. At 30' I would use a lift or bucket only. Take care,be safe

easy-lift guy

That's good advice! The tree stand you mean is a cantilever type that you sit then stand and advance up the stem? Don't think it would be very good for the cambium of the palm, I have used one for deer on pine trees.

Yes. Something like one of these; Cabela's: Climbing Treestands

Preferably with no back rest since I wont be sitting. I have seen others use these succesfully, but I admit, I am not sure what they would do to a queen. They don't seem to harm the giant washies.

Check these guys out: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zq7O_nAR5s]Pure Life Palm Trimmers : Spikeless Coconut Climbing on Maui Hawaii - YouTube[/ame]

and this guy; [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1AvcA1F7uM]Spikeless palm climbing platform - YouTube[/ame]