What to charge for milling timber

graemecyule

I charge by the day.

This is because the milling spec. may change - far more work in breaking down a large log and quartersawing it into thin boards than slabbing it up through and through in a mix of 2" and 3" and either the job may dictate it or the customer may change their mind - a day rate leaves you free to accommodate this with no issues.

I don't charge mileage as such - you know the distance when you quote the job, so make sure you are building enough in to cover it. A single figure is easier for the customer to understand.

Don't forget to build in enough for all the set-up at base, loading, unloading, sharpening etc. that the customer doesn't see. You really want to turn up with a machine which is ready to roll as soon as it is set up on site.

Do factor in how experienced you are. An experienced miller will get more yield of higher quality timber out of a butt. It is never good walking away at the end of the day leaving a pile of timber which would have been cheaper to buy.

Do consider what you will do when you turn up and the butt is full of nails, wire etc. or you get into the butt and it turns out to be half rotten, or the customer expects you to single-handedly take 3" slabs halfway across his garden and stack them for him. There is a judgement call to be made in all of these situations, and the customer's expectations need to be carefully discussed. Personally, I ask the questions to work out what is needed in advance, take a view on the likelihood of metal, am happy to help stack but obviously time spent stacking is not spent milling so production rates will go down (make sure this is clear). If I got into a log and it was obviously not worth the effort of milling, I would explain this to the customer and offer to get what was possible out in a half day and only charge for that.

I have only once had an unsatisfactory outcome. The customer paid as agreed (the good bit) but they really didn't understand what had been done, why their actions had slowed progress, and that the pile of timber did (just) outstrip the cost. Burrell and I were working together on that one and I don't think either of us left particularly happy with the day, but this will inevitably happen from time to time and you just have to learn what you can from the experience and try to adapt your approach so that it is better next time.

Hope this helps.

Alec

Edited by agg221

I charge by the hour with a minimum of 3 hrs to cover loading/ unloading /set-up. Time rates mean if there's time wasted by me having to handle or haul logs around the site its covered in the cost. Breakdowns and f@@k- ups are my problem and are taken back out of the cost - very clearly. I explain fully to the customer what I expect re site preparation, that way they get to appreciate that they're paying me as a sawyer, anything else is wasting their own money. I charge a distance fee over 30 miles, I could be earning money elsewhere in that lost hour for longer distance work. Explain all of this right at the initial site visit or enquiry stage and you're well covered, there's no ambiguity or mis understanding, but do it pleasantly and politely, and with the aim of having a good relationship with the client every time and it should work for you too.

Shaun

• 3 weeks later...