Treating Timber

jamesd

I checked over a few of my stacks of timber that i milled this winter to see how they are doing and noticed the Beech i milled has developed a lot of white fungi. (not entirely sure it is fungi or what it is for that matter so put up a picture for you)

The oak i milled however is fine.

Should i have treated this wood with wykabor? If i treat the wood with it will it still be ok to use as say a kitchen worksurface, i presume the wood is fine to handle once the wykabor has soaked in?

If i do need to treat the wood would it be worthwhile scraping the white stuff of before treating or just put the wykabor straight over the top of it?

I appreciate any advice you can give me! I don't want all taht wood to go on the fire!

IMG_0659.jpg.ba34aa07df3960dbd7bb823755764db2.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg.18530f8f0cb748699580cd3975c84ef2.jpg

Thanks for the replies. The stickers are 1/2" thick, if i were to put them on their edge it would make them 12 thick would that be better?

They are stacked in a barn with a reasonable amount of air flow, but as you say probably not enough but it is the only place i know i can securely store them.

Is it worth treating them though?

Too late now for treatment I suspect. Enjoy the spalted beech that will follow.

Stickers are too thin. 18mm is better. Beech has a propensity for surface mould so strong airflow and thicker stickers are important.

Too late now for treatment I suspect. Enjoy the spalted beech that will follow.

Stickers are too thin. 18mm is better. Beech has a propensity for surface mould so strong airflow and thicker stickers are important.

Thanks, it was only milled about 1 month ago Is it still to late? As the wood dries will the spalting go through all of the wood if I am too late?

spalted the right amount is great. But beach (and birch is even worse!) can go from spalted, to rotted very quickly. Definitely airflow problem but sometimes you just have to do the best you can. I would putt the worst out, scrape it clean and try treating it. and whilst you are at it, see if it is going soft. Would be horrible to look at it next year and find its all rotten

If you are planning on making chopping boards from it I would scrape and brush it clean as advised above. I now spray all my timber with dettol and dont have much of a mould problem. I moved from 1/2 inch stickers to 3/4 inch stickers made from poplar a few months ago. Definetely helps to inprove the air flow around the timber. It means though that I get 2 or 3 less boards in the kiln. I also use stainelss steel ratchet straps in the kiln to keep the boards nice and flat.

Be careful when cleaning the mould off as well. Its not very nice to breathe in and I used to feel really crap with flu like sympoms for about 3 days when doing it in the workshop. I now use a facemask and do it outside if there is any mould on a board to minimise any affects.

Mike