Kiln drying in the South East

Jamespepperpot

Hi,

I've been milling some Deodar Cedar for a client today and I have a couple more butts to do yet. I need to get it kiln dried in order to make some desks for them. In total I'd imagine there will be around 30 boards that are 3 foot by 5 foot and 2 inches thick. Is there anyone near Wadhurst that has a kiln and can do this for me?

Many thanks

James

In my 12 years experience of being a joiner/cabinet maker/tree surgeon cedar will crack and check if stuck straight in the kiln. You will need to air drie it. I would drie it over a summer then kiln it. It's up to you but if you do kiln it green you will lose a foot at each end so you 5 foot boards will be 3 ft. Good luck

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

In my 12 years experience of being a joiner/cabinet maker/tree surgeon cedar will crack and check if stuck straight in the kiln. You will need to air drie it. I would drie it over a summer then kiln it. It's up to you but if you do kiln it green you will lose a foot at each end so you 5 foot boards will be 3 ft. Good luck

I suppose different kilning techniques have different results. I must admit I've only kilned one large cedar log and it was a while ago, but in the 8 weeks it was in the kiln, few defects developed.

Exactly, if you put the boards straight in a kiln it will defect, I have heard that people have there kiln at 18-20 degrees and put boards in for weeks (I guess) then slowly bring the temp up. (I guess this is during the winter) I personally have a solar kiln so I have to air drie everything first then kiln over the summer. Atleast it's free but a bit of forward planning tho.