Defender alternative - Ranger?

Sixstar

Hi Guys,

Great Forum!!

I am looking to replace a 2002 Defender 110 Double Cab and I was hoping to move up the years to a 110 or 130 Double Cab but I can't really find anything that suits me. They are making big enough money so that got me thinking of a new/1 or 2 year old model on a Finance deal. No Dealer in Ireland has one or can even get one for me and UK Dealers cannot offer me a Finance deal.

So this has got me thinking of the Ford Ranger. I love the Defender but I feel that the Ranger may be a more reliable machine plus much comfier when on a long drive etc. I need to pull a big load and thats where the Defender towing capacity of 3.5tonne comes in. The Ranger is next in line with 3.35tonne.

I know you guys use your work machines and I would love to know if anyone has made the change to Ford. Any Landy lads I ask eat,sleep,fix and nothing else will do so an unbiased opinion would be very much appriciated!

Thanks All

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a chap who replaced his Defender with a Ranger and he is a very happy man. I don't know what he thinks about the difference in towing capacity or MpG. I think he's still in shock about how quite it is, comfy it is, and the lack of water coming in when it rains !

On a serious note I'm planning on doing the same next year. Love Defenders to bits, but....

Are you talking about the latest model ranger ?

I have an 09 plate ranger and it couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding, it's OK once it's rolling but getting it rolling is the problem.

I have two landies, a 110 hicap and a 130, they both pull my crane trailer without any problems, the Ranger struggles like mad with it.

I understand the new model is better for towing, but isn't there something about if it's towing it's full capacity then you can't load the truck up fully ?

I have made the move from landy 130 to 06 ranger tipper, both reliable for me, landy better for towing, and took more chip, ranger too high geared in first for towing well and technical off road sections, and is a 3 ton gvw against landy at 3.5.

Other than that it doas the job, and has been earning it's shilling.

I had Defender 90s for 20 years and then switched to a Ranger super cab. The Ranger is a lot more comfortable, roomier, warmer, has fantastic turning circle, better mpg and been largely reliable.

I do not tow much but when I did it was a 3 ton Ifor full of logs and I would say compared to my mates 110 it did struggle and mpg dropped a lot! They are high geared as well, really dont like reversing with foot totally off clutch, even in low box.

A relative of mine is a mechanic for a major utility company who predominantly used Land Rovers but they started switching to Toyota HiLux and Ford Rangers a few years back as they felt the LRs weren't up to the job any more (sure he said the chassis were bending alarmingly easy!).

In light of Land Rover obviously not wanting to produce a commercial vehicle any more I think we will all have to switch to the Japanese based pick ups. Apparently there is a new Ranger coming out next year with more power and a true 3.5ton towing capacity.

I have a 130 td5 tipper, it's great but to spread the wear and tear I have just taken a 3 year lease out on a double cab ranger LTd, I towed the tracked chipper today to a job and it great. I can deliver logs in it and leave the lads working the defender. The lease is a great price and far better than buying one.

Thanks all.

Great to hear some head rather than heart opinions.

As said above its great to jump into something and not have to add another fix to the list. My own defender gave me problems with lights, wipers, doors not closing and leaks!

I would be looking at the newest model ranger so hopefully it would have some low down grunt in the 3.2 model?

The rear tub would only be used for tool storage, safety gear etc so no real weight to add while towing.