A wee bit chilly!!

Katie at FoxMedics

I went to see the film Everest last weekend and it was fab! Partly because anything I view on a screen that is remotely larger than my box tele impresses me and it was a good film. :thumbup:

Anyway it got me thinking about the onset of the harsh weather arriving and the affects of Hypothermia. :cool:

So here are a few tips on what to look out for and some basic management techniques.

Hypo (low) thermia (state of heat)

Our normal body temperature is 36.8C. It only takes a small drop in heat, down to 35C, for our bodies to start showing signs of Hypothermia.

Some common signs are- shivering (your body attempting to keep warm)

pale skin, fast breathing,

low energy/tiredness :sleep:

As the body temperature drops more, below 32C, the signs mimic the way some of us may present at the weekend after too much pop- :beerchug:

-Slurred speech, Drowsiness, Loss of coordination

-Loss of judgement and reasoning

(some people strip down believing they are hot!)

-Shallow breathing

As you can imagine temperatures below 28C will be very severe and lead to unconsciousness and further deterioration.:vollkommenauf:

Some tips for management are removing yourself from the elements and wrapping up in blankets, towels, jumpers etc including the head. Remove wet clothing if possible- the cold air will make the clothing colder and drawer more heat away from the body. Encourage shivering and moving around, hot drinks especially sugary ones to replace the glucose used. Not to give a wee dram, alcohol can widen the blood vessels and allow heat to escape. Spooning- skin to skin contact. Inhaling warm air (NOT Smoking) :bandit:, this can help warm the temperature regulator of the brain and the blood stream.

Keep warm and safe all! :itsme:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My sons the same with a lower than normal body temperature and he feels the cold more than his sister so I guess could be more susceptible to it, I've experienced mild hypothermia with uncontrollable shivering and feeling slightly intoxicated from getting thrown off a horse and getting soaked in icy water, high wind chill and over an hr ride back. Took well over 2 hrs once dry and somewhere warm to start to feel normal but incredibly tired and groggy. Definitely wouldn't recommend it!

My sons the same with a lower than normal body temperature and he feels the cold more than his sister so I guess could be more susceptible to it, I've experienced mild hypothermia with uncontrollable shivering and feeling slightly intoxicated from getting thrown off a horse and getting soaked in icy water, high wind chill and over an hr ride back. Took well over 2 hrs once dry and somewhere warm to start to feel normal but incredibly tired and groggy. Definitely wouldn't recommend it!

i inherited this from my dad but i am quite happy with the cold as long as i'm doing something.

both me and my dad were fine in the lower temperatures it was always other people who are complaining that it's cold when we both thought it is fine.

20 degrees is too much for me.

Aaron's is part of hit otc metabolic condition, wounder if your like that crazy guy who swims under frozen lakes without any issues, sure he has a lower than normal body temperature.

Just ordered some army issue foil blankets for the vans having started to think about this issue and the remote locations we sometimes work in, a good extra to go with the trauma 1st aid kits we have.