Exeter charcoal mobile retort kiln

Locky76

I am currently setting up a charcoal business in Ireland and I am going to buy an Exeter charcoal retort kiln. Are there many people on here with them?

I would appreciate any advice you can give on them. Thanks in advance.

There is a thread on here which goes into quite a bit of detail on the Exeter. If you search for 'mobile retorts' it should come up.

Any more questions, don't hesitate to ask:001_smile:

There is a thread on here which goes into quite a bit of detail on the Exeter. If you search for 'mobile retorts' it should come up.

Any more questions, don't hesitate to ask:001_smile:

Thanks VI, I have read all the threads on it but I have a few other queries:

1- What sort of money for a new Exeter on a trailer?

2- What's the production co-efficient? (100kgs of seasoned ash produces how much charcoal)

3- Do logs need to be cut and split before putting them into the kiln?

4- If it goes in in full length can it be broken up by hand coming out?

5- What is the most efficient means of packaging it?

1: You would have to ask Robin at Exeter for up to date prices. I know the price has risen since I bought mine in 2012.

2: Ratio of wood to charcoal is about 4:1, so 100kg of seasoned Ash should produce 25kg of charcoal. Keep in mind that at least 10% of your final product will be fines.

3/4: You can put full lengths in but you will get significantly less per load than if you cut the lengths into 3 or 4. If your charge wood is arrow straight you might get away with it, but with the length of the burn it is worth packing in as much as you can.

It will handle diameters up to about 6", bigger than that it would probably need splitting and would almost certainly give you a better return as firewood.

Smaller diameters go at the bottom, larger at the top. Breaks up fine on unloading whatever length.

5: The most efficient means of packaging is to sell it ungraded in bulk bags to a bigger processor. Most people use homemade weird and wonderful contraptions to grade the charcoal into paper sacks. I have often thought that a rotating soil screener and potato elevator/bagger would make a good combination for doing bags. All mine goes wholesale.

Hope that helps.

Keep an eye on the development of biochar too. Huge potential if it becomes mainstream, and what the Exeter was originally designed to produce.

This is great stuff VI, thanks a million.

I have up the business model to sell directly to the public via a website and also to distribute via high end bbq shops and farmers shops. I am also actively developing an export market to Australia and USA with the shamrock firmly on the front. The refinement of putting the charcoal into the bags needs to be looked at for me. Expect an Irishman to turn up in your woodland within the next three months!

My business plan is to produce and sell 10 tonnes of charcoal in 2016.

1: You would have to ask Robin at Exeter for up to date prices. I know the price has risen since I bought mine in 2012.

2: Ratio of wood to charcoal is about 4:1, so 100kg of seasoned Ash should produce 25kg of charcoal. Keep in mind that at least 10% of your final product will be fines.

3/4: You can put full lengths in but you will get significantly less per load than if you cut the lengths into 3 or 4. If your charge wood is arrow straight you might get away with it, but with the length of the burn it is worth packing in as much as you can.

It will handle diameters up to about 6", bigger than that it would probably need splitting and would almost certainly give you a better return as firewood.

Smaller diameters go at the bottom, larger at the top. Breaks up fine on unloading whatever length.

5: The most efficient means of packaging is to sell it ungraded in bulk bags to a bigger processor. Most people use homemade weird and wonderful contraptions to grade the charcoal into paper sacks. I have often thought that a rotating soil screener and potato elevator/bagger would make a good combination for doing bags. All mine goes wholesale.

Hope that helps.

Keep an eye on the development of biochar too. Huge potential if it becomes mainstream, and what the Exeter was originally designed to produce.

10 ton is a lot, but do-able. It might be worth you getting the thoughts of Hertswood and LewisB on this forum, they have experience with other retort kilns that are more expensive but also more robust.

I am tempted to question the ethics of exporting such a bulky product to Australia but it's a complex issue and depends on how you and the Australians are sourcing your raw material.

You are of course more than welcome to visit the wood anytime you like. I haven't got much to show you other than the kiln as I don't really do much grading and bagging, however I do make a mean cup of tea:001_smile:

I have a Q: Do you hire yourself and your kiln out to process other people's wood? Reason I ask is because we have a couple acres of unmanaged coppice to cut and get back into some kind of rotation. Trying to work out how to make it work financially, or at least to try and break even.

cheers, steve

I have a Q: Do you hire yourself and your kiln out to process other people's wood? Reason I ask is because we have a couple acres of unmanaged coppice to cut and get back into some kind of rotation. Trying to work out how to make it work financially, or at least to try and break even.

cheers, steve

Hi Steve,

Unfortunately I'd have to charge you more than the resulting charcoal would be worth!

What species are you coppicing and what size is the material? There may well be a better use for it.

The mean cuppa sounds great, as regards the ethics of exporting to Australia I would be targeting the St.Patrick's day bbq's, a lot of Irish out there who would like to have an Irish fired barbie. All the feedstock for the kiln will be thinnings from hardwood plantations approx 15 to 25 years old.

10 ton is a lot, but do-able. It might be worth you getting the thoughts of Hertswood and LewisB on this forum, they have experience with other retort kilns that are more expensive but also more robust.

I am tempted to question the ethics of exporting such a bulky product to Australia but it's a complex issue and depends on how you and the Australians are sourcing your raw material.

You are of course more than welcome to visit the wood anytime you like. I haven't got much to show you other than the kiln as I don't really do much grading and bagging, however I do make a mean cup of tea:001_smile: