Wood chip as a mulch

keptenjim

These days, we sell almost all we produce for 20euros per m3

It goes for garden mulch either fresh or after a period of maturing.

The French use the term BRF Bois Rameal Fragmente.

That is wood under around 6" from the crown of the tree.

There is another name for larger chip 'Plaquettes' which is also used for fuel as well as mulch but is pure wood without any twigs or leaves.

Regards

Ty

What's wood chip like as a mulch? I've always used bark chip to put down around my shrubs and fruit trees but my supplier is no longer trading. Bark chip from other suppliers is horrendously expensive

It's good stuff, but in decomposing it pinches quite a lot of nitrogen where it contacts the soil. Once the initial phase of it's decomposition is over, this nitrogen becomes available again so don't work it into the soil. Practically speaking this will supress the germination of seeds in the soil and so keep the 'weeds' down. Shouldn't be a big issue for established woody plants.

Some say it's best to let fresh chip rot (mature?) before mulching with it; there is an issue with tannins from the wood leaching out into the soil, but this is probably only a problem with bulk chip - certainly when I did my chipper course we were warned not to create large chip piles near ponds or watercourses becaue of this. I can't imagine that this is a hige problem with a layer a few inches thick...

I've sold plenty of it many years ago for mulch. It's best left to decompose for 4 to 6 months first otherwise it tends to leach the nitrogen out the soil (it will however release it back again as it breaks down) Put it on the beds following weeding at a depth of around 3 inches.

We used to sell it loose with a minimum delivered load of 2 cubic metres for £85 + vat and £14 + vat for each additional cubic metre........ great work on a wet day!

Far to valuable to use as a mulch. I compost in tonne bags and after 2 years becomes an excellent soil improver.

I was under the impression that the arborists with chippers ended up with tons of wood chip that they couldn't give away!