Climbing Ropes - is there much difference?

JosephD

Hi Folks.

I have had my Yale XTC 13mm Climbing rope for a few years now and its getting to the stage where i need a to replace it.

rather than getting the same type of rope i was looking to spend less money and purchase a cheeper one.

I am looking at another YALE XTC rope (pic below) which is the same diameter and brand as my current rope but is different a colour and cheaper at £1.85 per meter .

i will be getting it in 45meter length - the same length as when i purchased my current one 4 or 5 years ago and i am wanting to know what the difference really is between cheep rope and expensive ropes. i am not into all the fancy climbing systems like the hitch climber , zigzag etc. i climb on a 10mm beal prussik loop and always have done. is it just all to do with what machinical device you use? or what Diamater of friction hitch? , all i am bothered about is if it can get me in and out of the tree safety and easily.

Cheers Joe,

33USguz.jpg

XTC is a good basic rope, stay clear of the cheap marlowe one, new england HI VEE is another basic one thats quite nice. you'll notice the difference on your hands if you go to one of the thinner sportier lines. But then they are lighter and stretch less...

XTC is a good basic rope, stay clear of the cheap marlowe one, new england HI VEE is another basic one thats quite nice. you'll notice the difference on your hands if you go to one of the thinner sportier lines. But then they are lighter and stretch less...

The New England Hi Vee is a good call. I remember that from my prussic days.

If you are using a standard hitch like a prussik or blakes then IMO you may as well go for something like the Xtc Fire or what you had before. When it comes to using the mechanical devices like a lock jack or zigzag then it is worth spending the extra on the smaller diameter lines such as tachyon or the like as they go through the devices better. If you got 4 years out of the last rope that's good going so treat yourself!

Edited by JaySmith
Spelling

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Folks.

I have had my Yale XTC 13mm Climbing rope for a few years now and its getting to the stage where i need a to replace it.

rather than getting the same type of rope i was looking to spend less money and purchase a cheeper one.

I am looking at another YALE XTC rope (pic below) which is the same diameter and brand as my current rope but is different a colour and cheaper at £1.85 per meter .

i will be getting it in 45meter length - the same length as when i purchased my current one 4 or 5 years ago and i am wanting to know what the difference really is between cheep rope and expensive ropes. i am not into all the fancy climbing systems like the hitch climber , zigzag etc. i climb on a 10mm beal prussik loop and always have done. is it just all to do with what machinical device you use? or what Diamater of friction hitch? , all i am bothered about is if it can get me in and out of the tree safety and easily.

Cheers Joe,

33USguz.jpg

If your current rope is a Yale XTC Fire, Scorch or Magma Ice then it is exactly the same rope as the XTC+ you have mentioned. The difference literally just being the colour.

Hi Folks.

Cheers Joe,

33USguz.jpg

Yale XTC is a great rope for a Prussik. The HiVee is nicer in the hand but has a little more stretch.

I don't get the cheaper bit though. Not only is the XTC one of the best value for money ropes on the market, do you really want to be climbing on an inferior rope to save a few quid?

If you can make it last a few years but the best you can find.

Avoid the Marlow.

• 1 month later...