Shredders

Paul in the woods

I'm looking for a shredder to produce composting material on very large domestic scale. We have access to several acres of wood and scub land, so no shortage of material. It doesn't need to cope with a huge diameter as that stuff will go in the firewood pile.

The Eliet Minor 4S seems to fit the bill, although I'm not sure to go with the Honda GC190 or the slightly more powerful GX200. Is either better (more reliable, easier to work) on than the other?

Are there any other makes that make something similar for around £2k? I've looked at the Major 4S but I'm not convinced I'd get much benefit by spending the extra £800.

I've looked at the Echo Bear Cat Chipper/Shredders and like the longer guarantee but don't know much about them. Anyone have any experience of them?

Finally, does anyone stock the Eliet Minor 4S in Devon at all?

Define "very large domestic scale" please.

Sometimes it is better to go oversize than go too small and I'm awfully afraid that some shredders are too much on the hobby side of things for the scale that you want to carry out.

Is budget a real limiting factor?

I'm looking for a shredder to produce composting material on very large domestic scale. We have access to several acres of wood and scub land, so no shortage of material. It doesn't need to cope with a huge diameter as that stuff will go in the firewood pile.

The Eliet Minor 4S seems to fit the bill, although I'm not sure to go with the Honda GC190 or the slightly more powerful GX200. Is either better (more reliable, easier to work) on than the other?

Are there any other makes that make something similar for around £2k? I've looked at the Major 4S but I'm not convinced I'd get much benefit by spending the extra £800.

I've looked at the Echo Bear Cat Chipper/Shredders and like the longer guarantee but don't know much about them. Anyone have any experience of them?

Finally, does anyone stock the Eliet Minor 4S in Devon at all?

I do. Pop in and have a look at it.

The gx engine is a commercial engine so will last longer and be more reliable the the gc

I could not agree more. Its only £100 extra for the GX which is much, much better than the domestic GC engine.

I only ever sell the GX powered model, can't really understand why the GC one is still in the price list.

The Major 4S will outperform the Minor when the going gets tough. On single branches of around 45mm base diameter there would be little difference in performance, but the extra power of the Major will facilitate material up to 55mm. The wider inlet makes it easier to 'fold' the side branches when pushing in a large branch, and the extra 8 blades help when shredding multiple stems.

Thank you for the replies.

I want to produce compost for a garden of about an acre. It's not been cultivated much and is very poor, free draining soil so needs a lot of organic matter.

Cost is going to be an issue as for every extra pound I could buy in 20 liters of compost from my local DIY shed. I will need a small shredder for dealing with material from the garden and I've already decided to up-spec it to enable me to process material from the woodland I own. If any of that makes sense.

As I will be able to select what I shred, so straight stems rather than twisted thorny lumps, and will only likely need to be going up to 30mm it does sound likely the Minor 4S would suffice. I will go for the GX engine.

I bought an old green mech Eco 150 I think it's called. Chipper and shredder in one with hatz diesel engine. Brilliant bit of kit use it once in a blue moon on my 1 acre garden but would not bother with a smaller machine it just gets on with in and drags in big gobs of brash. Paid about 4 k for it a couple of years ago and it's probably still worth 4 k. I chip lots of par 2x1 and waste from the kindling to make weed suppressant.