Kretz on Sycamore

Nick Harrison

we had a tree failure last week in the high winds. as you'll see from the pics there's extensive decay in the root ball of this tree. canopy on the tree had been fine with no fruiting bodies to be found on site. the issue is that we have at least 3 other sycamores in a line with this one and resident is duly concerned as to whether the other trees are potentially in a hazardous condition. sounding hammer and close inspection of the base of the trees hasn't picked up anything.

I was thinking about detection options, tree radar sprang to mind but not sure if that would pick up this type of decay. another option would be to hand dig around the base to see if any decay can be found, any one with a better suggestion?

59766d122b0ce_7-5-15016.jpg.4e8c65e736a7ff0c1cd06fb7967cba63.jpg

59766d1229276_7-5-15015.jpg.158e3b2e0c6d9c36b2fed21fb2689507.jpg

59766d1226fbc_7-5-15013.jpg.abaaae664179053bac38e49b2e47cb68.jpg

59766d1224b9e_7-5-15011.jpg.ebbe241bd56763a25d1b130847d240d5.jpg

59766d1221b65_7-5-15009.jpg.496c4550e3e593cf9cc833764f3164fa.jpg

59766d121e144_7-5-15008.jpg.896d5058e09d2f12caef9fbfcae0a558.jpg

Do you have a resistograph then Paul? Could be handy from time to time if so, you're not far from me...

Hi Kevin,

I don't have my own resistograph but a local consultancy company allow me to use theirs (as well as their Picus). Let me know if you need any decay mapping doing. It would be great to work with you.

Paul

"hand dig around the base to see if any decay can be found," Right; there is no better evidence than hands-and-eyes-on. :thumbup1:

The bling toys are great but the growing weakness that caused the failure could have been fairly sussed with the use of hand tools; trowel and a yardstick.

Shaggy turf obscured the cavity, another reason to install a 6" radius round the stem of expanded aggregate and/or Prunus woodchip. One how-to scheme from a yank below; if anyone has suggestions on 1-12 I am always revising...

"83.3.9 The flare and buttress roots should remain visible...

Specify the method, area, depth, tools, equipment and limitations of excavation. Diagnose detectable flare and root diseases and disorders. Protect root and stem tissue newly exposed to sunlight where needed.

Sample specifications Root Collar Examinations using hand tools

Scope: Trees with fill contacting the trunk.

Objective: Avoid damage to the tree from the effects of fill on the trunk. Lessen risk and maintenance needs. Improve health. Provide maximum vitality health and safety.

Specifications:

1. Rake any coarse woody debris or fresh mulch away from the root collar area.

2. Press the blade of a shovel or a trowel against the trunk. Slide it carefully downward until resistance is met.

3. Push the handle toward the trunk, moving the blade away from the trunk.

4. Remove individual adventitious roots <1 cm and stem-girdling roots <1/10 trunk diameter. Manage larger roots per A300 (Part 8), 83.4 and 84.4. Avoid contact between the trunk and any remaining adventitious, girdling, and circling roots.

5. Lift the fertile material away from the trunk and set aside.

6. Separate and dispose of any infertile soil and debris. Retain the fertile soil, fine roots, mycorrhizae, and decomposed mulch.

7. Repeat until trunk and flare are clear, down to the root collar, where buttress roots divide. Use hand tools, or compressed water or air, to clear the root collar.

8. Consider replanting the tree, if the flare is far below grade and the tree has been in the ground less than 5 years.

9. Consider installing a device to control erosion, or remove soil and fine roots outside of the root collar to make a gradual slope.

10. Apply 2-4” of mulch over the roots and the root collar, where they join to the flare. Avoid mulch contact with the flare.

11. Blend and incorporate the retained fertile material to expand the rootzone where practical.

12. Specify that future management will keep the flare visible." :001_tongue:

Turf to the trunk does not seem natural ime.