How to begin...

charlespalmer98

Theres many ways bud, you could go to a local training centre and just do the tickets or go to college and do the 3day a week course for the year to gain the 4basic tickets and back ground knowledge.

Also if theres a firms around your area speak to them in person, and explain that youd like to gain experience within the arb industry.

To start off with yourll be draging brash to the chipper maybe some hedge cutting etc. keep tour eyes and ears open. You can learn a lot from just watching the guys or girls whilst dragging. If you get in. Ask questions and be interested. Keep that mind active.

You never know that done the end of the line once you've got your tickets you might work for the same firm, or they'll be able to give you a gleaming report to the potential employer.

Realise that you wont be making much as a day/weekly rate with no quals, but if your not a complete fool there get you involved with the felling etc. 👍 good luck

Work hard, ask questions, keep the mobile in the van, and hope you enjoy our industry

Charles,

Whereabouts in the country are you, and what is your age/academic level? There are a few colleges who run National Diploma courses in arboriculture, or if you are the right age and have the qualifications you could do a foundation or undergraduate degree. The ND and FdSc would give you some background knowledge of trees/tree biology/ID etc.etc. and a host of practical skills - most of these courses include the training for your tickets but assessment is extra.

If you ever want to go into the supervisory/management side of things, then completing the undergraduate degree is almost essential as most employers nowadays see a B.Sc as a minimum standard for management. Don't forget you will almost certainly get weekend work on the job with a local contractor whilst completing your education - which will enable you to consolidate your new knowledge.

As suggested by Dan, you could spend some money and get a few tickets from completing short courses and then simply go out chopping for someone. Whilst this seems to be the fast route - if you want to be in the industry for the long haul, just being able to climb or to fell a tree or two without having detailed knowledge of what you are really doing behind it, or an understanding of how to minimise the negative effects of your work on the environment, will just make you yet another saw monkey and this industry could do with a few less of them in my opinion.

Of course you could get some tickets, find an employer and try to fit college in around work - but with the economy being the way it is and you are likely to end up working for a self-employed contractor - its unlikely that you will be able to do this as your employer will want you working rather then sitting in a classroom or training on a college site.

Ultimately, all of this will depend on your outlook for this career and what you are really prepared to commit to. Best of luck either way.

Ask a local firm if you can drag some brash for a few days (maybe offer to do a day or two for free). It will give you an idea of if the work is for you.

I would not start looking into courses etc to start with - try and get some hands on experience first to see if you like it.

:001_smile:

Ask a local firm if you can drag some brash for a few days (maybe offer to do a day or two for free). It will give you an idea of if the work is for you.

I would not start looking into courses etc to start with - try and get some hands on experience first to see if you like it.

:001_smile:

Good advice, it's no good shelling out on tickets if it's not going to work for you.

Have a look at it, ask the local firms and get a day or two

With them out with teams, see, watch, listen, learn, and try. Only the. Will you be certain.

I think that by enquiring you have made up your mind, good luck I hope you get on and are happy :)

Also you could invest in some climbing kit to begin with to get a feel for it as any kind of experience is important, even just knowing certain knots etc.

If you put yourself through your tickets make sure you use your initiative to read and research things for yourself and gain all the knowledge you can as this will enable you to know 'why' as well as 'how'.

I'm just in the second week of my level 3 diploma and one thing I had no idea about was the cost of everything. All the PPE is very over priced but you have to buy it unless you want a serious injury. spare parts for your saw is a massive must too.. I've just had the pleasure of my piston, crank and pot being totally knackered and its going to cost a bomb to fix. If you can try and fit your training around a job. I made the mistake of leaving my job to take up training as it will take up every week for the next 2+ months and trying to buy and fix bits is working out to be difficult. Good luck though

I'm just in the second week of my level 3 diploma and one thing I had no idea about was the cost of everything. All the PPE is very over priced but you have to buy it unless you want a serious injury. spare parts for your saw is a massive must too.. I've just had the pleasure of my piston, crank and pot being totally knackered and its going to cost a bomb to fix. If you can try and fit your training around a job. I made the mistake of leaving my job to take up training as it will take up every week for the next 2+ months and trying to buy and fix bits is working out to be difficult. Good luck though

Just out of interest where are you studying your level 3 diploma in arboriculture. Only ask as I wasn't aware of anywhere that starts at this time of year. Thought it all kicked off in September.

How any hours are you doing a day and how many days a week? My Level 3 Diploma in Arb and Forestry course is a full year Monday to Friday, September through to June. In that time we have 36 written assignments to do as well as 500 hours of work experience and practical lessens. What is the awarding body for your diploma?