Base layers? do you wear them?

Robinson

Hello all - i'm new to this forum and relatively new to the industry.

what are the recommendations from you guys with experience for the best gear to wear for keeping warm in the winter yet still being able to move and access your harness etc?

I'm thinking of trying base layers but don't really have any experience if they are effective or not. any recommendations?

Thanks

:001_smile:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Base layers are ace, again i wear them year round. For a cheap climbing jacket, try a cyling one, generally not to long, and pretty breathable/robust. I got a good hi vis one for around £20. To be honest, Type C trousers keep your pretty warm, but on a really cold day i often chuck a rugby shirt on as well.

I was stuck up a Nothofagus as a series of blizzard type showers came through t'other day, and was ok sheltering behind the trunk for 15 minutes at a time. You've got to love Scottish weather.

I've got a couple of patagonia base layers that I love, and a couple of cheap ones as backup, or for thorn heavy days!

A lot of the time I just wear base layer and a thick polo shirt, when its very cold a fleece on top of that. Nice and lightweight, and easy to move about in.

HH Lifa short or long sleeve. Ok, they can get a bit niffy. But they're easy to wash and take hardly any time to dry. Plus they last and last and last. Also the same sort of thing by Tresspass. Not quite so roomy or silky feeling but a 1/3 of the price, (Got a factory outlet not far away.)