Ride on mowers

dogman

I've got a job starting in the new year, which includes cutting the grass, which is approx. half an acre. So will be looking for a ride on, which when I've got one will also be used at a couple of other sites.

I'm hoping to pick the collective brains on here of what models to look at, hoping to buy used, but if I get new I will have a max of £2k, but would like to spend a lot less !.

Regards & wishing everyone a merry Christmas.

Rob

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Avoid second hand ride on mowers has they can be costly ie them stupid double side belts are not cheap and decks are normally rusted through ,Honda's and Countax are top end of market and not cheap .

If you have to go down 2nd hand route go for a single blade 30" has they are easier to maintain and better access.

I weighed 3 of my ride on mowers in for scrap to see the back of them and bought a compact tractor with a finishing mower Which I have not touched in 4years.

Ste

first decide if your collecting the grass cuttings or mulching?

If collecting go for an older etesia hydro 100, 40inch cut but built like a tank, aluminium cutting deck with a good 16hp petrol enigine. dont be scared about it looking a little tatty they still fetch serious money but you will get one within your budget. Biggest mistake i have ever made is selling off my etesia! will collect even the wetest grass no problem, unlike the expensive kubota ive got now!

Or, etesia do a smaller ride on mower, mabe more domestic but still good mower, i think its called a bahia...

If mulching try looking for a stiga mower, never owned one myself but from using them in the past pretty inpressed.

I've a Husky CTH224, excellent robust mower for £2250 with 28hrs on the clock.. Good for the money. Now got about 200hrs on it and only needed one belt and a service to get it there!

I'm moving this year to a Kubota G21 as I've a lot of grass and pushing my luck with the Husqvarna but hats off to it, goes well on the wet or dry and leaves a nice finish.

Even second hand they will still be fine, most have a kolher or kawasaki engine which are strong. Try and buy soon to get a good deal.

Mine was a ex demo from Husqvarna and came if memory serves it came from Handy mowers down south.

Good luck have a great Christmas !