200T sticky rope rotor?

arborlicious

I had to pull out my backup 200t the other day after breaking a clutch spring on the main saw. The backup had been sitting around unused for about 18 months (empty fuel tank of course.) Started fine but then noticed the pull cord had not recoiled properly and had been damaged by the flywheel.

The rope rotor was not rotating freely on the shaft so the spring could not recoil the rope. I bought a new rope rotor thinking that was the problem but it's still sticking.

Seems that the plastic on the shaft needs a bit of sand paper to loosen things up a bit.

Just wondering why it happened with the saw sitting in storage?

ms200t_fanhousing.jpg.258c109a7810e09350b080038d88bddb.jpg

This is something I see quite often, not only on that saw.

I do not have a definate answer for this, but I put it down to the moisture content of the plastic having increased.

This sounds like BS, but it is a little known fact that some plastics absorb up to 12% moisture from the ambient air. This is bound to cause them to swell.

In the absence of a better explanation this is the one I run with!

I had one 200t that would do that once every week or two . Intensely annoying . I changed the metal feral were the rope passes through but to no avail . Think I cured it by shortening the rope a bit so not so much went on the spool .

I do not have a definate answer for this, but I put it down to the moisture content of the plastic having increased.

This sounds like BS, but it is a little known fact that some plastics absorb up to 12% moisture from the ambient air. This is bound to cause them to swell.

Agree polycut strimmer blades last longer if soaked overnight in water

Think that is a slightly different problem Stubby, the rotor spool has shallow sides and will not accept too much cord, or cord that is too big.

The OP's problem is that the spool will not spin freely on the spindle as the spindle appears to have increased in diameter.

Yea sorry . Mine kept snapping the cord .

Perhaps an hour or two in the oven on low should bring it back to normal...