defender 130 info please?

mowingjamie

looking at swapping my 2007 navara king cab at some point to get a small van, berlingo type, and hopefully a defender 130 dropside single cab. not for tree work so not bothered about tipper etc only for the grass cutting and building/developing side of things.

just unsure what weight the defender 130 is plated at, are all 130's rated at 3500kg and plated to tow 3500kg? or is it only hi-cap like the 90 and 110? if they are 3500kg what weight could they carry legally?(with a alu dropside). looking at a 2002 defender on fleabay at the moment but rust scares the s**t out of me but im told good things about the td5 engine?

also seen a few lpg berlingos about for sale and with a good supplier locally of lpg just wondering if it might be better going down the lpg route instead of diesel for the van ? any thoughts would be most welcome!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most but not all 130's are 3500kg there is the odd one at 3050kg for some reason, so pays to check the plate under the bonnet, they should all be plated to tow 3500kg.

My 130 with ally dropside and steel subframe can carry 1400kg iirc

yeh the red and black one, just the rust around the front scares me but with a bit of tidying up and repair it wood look very smart. 1400kg would be better than ideal! do they carry the 1400kg well or almost undrivable? put 800kg in the navara and you cant see the road! good view of the sky tho... what issues can the td5 have? are these good towers then?

yeh the red and black one, just the rust around the front scares me but with a bit of tidying up and repair it wood look very smart. 1400kg would be better than ideal! do they carry the 1400kg well or almost undrivable? put 800kg in the navara and you cant see the road! good view of the sky tho... what issues can the td5 have? are these good towers then?

It's a land rover, they are virtually undrivable empty :)

mine carries the weight well but it has +2" HD springs and assister springs inside, hard as rock though.

you can easily patch the bulk head i wouldnt be 2 concerned about that ,

early td5's pre 2003 suffered with oil in the ecu via the injector harness ( cheap fix if you catch it before it destroys the ecu ) fuel pump problems seem to be pretty common , air mass flow sensors tend to go ,have a google and maybe a flick on one of the landy forums . dont be put off though as every thing you buy at some point has issues :001_smile: best of luck

I have a 130 crew cab tipper, I toes and carries heavy weights all the time, I have heavy duty double rear springs, gas shocks on it. I have had it for 6 years and in that time I have had a new gearbox and clutch, fuel pump, head gasket, Ecu wiring loom, various steering and suspension bushes and bits. But like I said it is towing and carrying and going off road a lot of the time. The air mass meter only went because I had a tune it box fitted and these cause the airmass meter to break. Since taking it off it's been fine (4 years)