Poor horse chestnut

launchster

I looked at a horse chestnut today approx 40 ft tall. the customer is under a bit of pressure as neighbours would like the tree removed. She would like to keep it,but would be happy to pollard it if possible as a compromise. The tricky bit is, I identified guignardia leaf blotch, chestnut canker and then I also popped open a pod on the leaf, which contained a small brown larvae,which I assume could be leaf miner beetle. There is a good chance I am wrong with diagnosis and will research further but assuming I'm correct with diagnosis, how serious are each of these? The leaves currently start turning brown in May. It also has a couple of these fungus as well (link below)

Many thanks

Forest Research - Other common pest and disease problems of horse chestnut

Leaf blotch/leaf miner moths - not much of an issue. More unsightly than anything else.

If you have found fungal brackets on the tree, their significance depends on what species they are, where they are located, how the tree has reacted, how much useful wood is left, where the useful wood is, the value of any targets,....... i.e. get a photograph for a more useful answer. Reducing the tree may or may not be appropriate. With more info, the tree could be left intact, reduced, felled, mulched, prodded, jabbed or scrutinized.

Get your pics out.

Get the blue tits in they feed on the larvae! Small nesting box and sunflower seeds...

Bit late now but encourage them in spring and then cut feeding them and they will eat the larvae or any caterpillars.

Got to be worth a try to save a good tree?

For a first post, that's a corker! Well said; birds are our allies. :thumbup: