Starting up.

Little Butch

Thinking of 'starting up' my own small business.

Not sure whether this is a good idea or not but it's something I'd love to do and I like the thought of being my own boss!

Anyway, I've been in the industry about 2 years now, which I know isn't a mega amount! I have ran jobs, been team leader though so I've got a rough idea when it comes to that side of things.

I've been self employed for over a year now, was sub contracting for a company up until a few months back though and since then I've done a few of my own small jobs and subbed for other people.

I'd like to start doing/getting more of my own jobs and subby for others to fill in my gaps for now. Just trying to get a list sorted of what to sort out. I've got basic kit ie groundsaw, too handle, climbing kit etc.

What about advertisement, obviously that's a big thing to bring work in... What ways have you found worked best?

I've got a trailer and am thinking of buying a discovery to keep tools in/pull trailer.

Just worried about taking the plunge I guess...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy a transit tipper cos you can't chip into a disco!

Best advertising is a website but could take time and money to set up?

I am employed full time but have started to get more weekend jobs through word of mouth mainly people talking on local pages of Facebook and I'm thinking about having a Facebook page showing all the work I do and for people to contact me

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I don't see how you are starting if you have been self-employed for a year. You may be thinking of expanding or getting your own work, but to be honest that is little different then what you are doing now. You will just be responsible for arranging more of it!

In my opinion - just go for it. If working the saw is your calling, then you are better off pursuing that as a work/lifestyle then being a subbie where you have reduced control over your chosen work.

Put yourself out there, get signage on your truck, a good website and business card and don't be afraid to approach and talk to people about how you can help them. A big part of being a 'small business' is the sales pitch. Get that right and you are laughing, but as you are your own boss, ultimately its down to you.

Best advert is a clean site a clean approach, and a clean well written vehicle that looks cared for. Word of mouth is king. Its very easy to get a shite reputation really hard work to keep a good one. If ya can do the job go for it if not carry on learnin - no shame in that. Good luck.

Shaun

I just need to use a bigger hammer.

Hard work, sign writing and work 7 days a week for a few years.

Expect to be owed money, expect to have things stolen, expect to be let down by people, expect to wish you hadn't started being self employed, expect to spend more time looking at work than getting work.

That way you won't be disappointed when it happens

Good luck :)

best places I advertised, and fairly cheap too, were local parish magazines. depending how rural you are I guess but I found these pretty lucrative.

when starting out I never turned down work, even if I wasn't equipped to deal with. subbing in other outfits/mates that have the know how and gear means your clients see you as someone who can deal with any job request.

as said before, there'll be plenty of visiting/quoting for work and at times you'll feel like no-one is biting (you'll wonder are you quoting too high) and then other times they'll all be saying yes (and then you'll wonder if you're quoting too low!).

Good Luck!

Buy a transit tipper cos you can't chip into a disco!

Best advertising is a website but could take time and money to set up?

I am employed full time but have started to get more weekend jobs through word of mouth mainly people talking on local pages of Facebook and I'm thinking about having a Facebook page showing all the work I do and for people to contact me

Send it to me and I will make it so you can:lol:

F07DBDB8-6138-4ADF-A72B-FABACA53D37F-4674-000003900385DF9B.jpg

Thinking of 'starting up' my own small business....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Just remember Leon, stick to your side of the river... I have trained snipers on the Orwell Bridge! :001_tt2:

Took me about 9 months to set up at level where I had pretty much everything I needed and cost in region of 20k. My personal overheads are next to nothing though so any money made was ploughed straight back into new gear for the company.

Once your advertising, just sub for as many people as you can, networking is key i found, fit your own jobs in around that until your workload increases.

I had plenty of subbing work when i got my chipper and got a higher dayrate also which then funded the new chipper... take it slow and build it up gradually.

As for advertising make use of all the free places online first, there's hundreds, make a note of when you started the ad and when it will expire so you can relist your advert.

Google is your friend also so get a website, even a basic one page wonder and point all your adds at that.

Parish mags are also good but now we're talking about paying for advertising. Post office windows in villages can work well also.

I found leaflets best when i first started on my own but i had people prepared to deliver them very cheaply....

As said, a clean smartly written truck is excellent advertising, and once the writing is on, its free!

Best of luck with it mate

best places I advertised, and fairly cheap too, were local parish magazines. depending how rural you are I guess but I found these pretty lucrative.

when starting out I never turned down work, even if I wasn't equipped to deal with. subbing in other outfits/mates that have the know how and gear means your clients see you as someone who can deal with any job request.

as said before, there'll be plenty of visiting/quoting for work and at times you'll feel like no-one is biting (you'll wonder are you quoting too high) and then other times they'll all be saying yes (and then you'll wonder if you're quoting too low!).

Good Luck!

+1 go for it but as for a truck i think a disco will not be the right thing see if you can get a good pick up and put a chip box on that or a transit tipper. the first is it has to be hand balled off so is hard work