Bumble bee nests, protected?

Gnarlyoak

So here's an uncommon scenario that I came across last week.

Turned up at a customers back garden last week to fell two small 12-15ft dead trees. Clocked straight away that both trees had bird boxes attached to them!

Immediately, given the time of year, asked the customer if there was anything in them. "No!" he says.....

Anyhoo, not 100% convinced decided to climb the first tree and double check. Knocked on the side of the box, no sign of any movement or sounds that it might be occupied. Fidgeted away with the clasps securing the lid and finally removed it and peeked inside only to see a Mrs.Great Tit sat blinking and staring back at me.

Lid straight back on, down I come. Sorry mate we can't fell that, nesting bird, against the law, Wildlife & Countryside Act an all that, yadaa yadaa yadaa.

Erm, what about the other tree? he asks.

So went to the other side of the garden. Threw my rope up into a crotch just above the nesting box in that tree. I flicked my rope to slap against the side of the box to see if I got a response before disturbing it. A small white bottomed bumble bee flew out, flicked rope again, and got the same response.

Err, you appear to have bees nesting in that one mate. Oh, he says, is there a law against moving that?

Well I have to admit, I was buggered if I knew wether or not wild bumble bees are afforded any legal protection in terms of disturbing where they have set up home. Never came across this situation before, does anyone here know if there are any restrictions on moving wild bee nest?

On this occasion my attempt to overcome the situation was to block up the hole, remove nesting box from dead tree to be felled, replace box in a neighbouring tree. Unblock hole and run like Billie-O to a safe distance. :lol:

So dead bee tree felled. Dead bird tree left standing, telling the customer we'd be back in a few weeks after the chicks had hatched & fledged in 4-6 weeks to complete the job.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you bag the box at night and move it to somewhere more convenient the bees will continue to use it. We had a colony of tree bees in our bird box last year and I moved them to the bottom of the garden with no drama. They abandon it after about 6 weeks and move on.

No legal protection is given to any bee. I move about 50 nests a year, bird boxes dig them out the ground and pick them up out of roof spaces. Always wear a suit though. I used to bring quite a few home as some are supposed to not do well if you move them. All the ones I brought back did ok. I love watching them but a lot of people just don't want them.

I've got some honey bees and to move them it must be less than 3ft or more than 3 miles otherwise they return to the original hive location and can't find it again. Over 3 miles and its a whole new foraging area so they know. Doesn't mention anything like that on the link for bumble bees.

I wanted to use my elevator today and while hitching it up I realised bumble bees had made a nest in the tubing.

Couldn't get at it to get it out so just took the elevator away and left a log with a hole in it in its place.

The bees found it and were using it by time I returned

Parked the elevator in a different place but nearby, I think some found that again now..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399322395.085408.jpg.4dba8dd593ef0f6cb4d79c54dee43dcc.jpg

I've got some honey bees and to move them it must be less than 3ft or more than 3 miles otherwise they return to the original hive location and can't find it again. Over 3 miles and its a whole new foraging area so they know. Doesn't mention anything like that on the link for bumble bees.

I second this our Lanlord keeps beed he also gose out. And catches swarms at 83 aswell

If his own hive swam he has had to move them away for a seson and the reinstate them

Ohh. That might not be good news. I did notice as we left the job, that there was still a crowd of bees buzzing around in thin air at precisely the spot where the box they were nesting in used to be!!! :confused1:

Too true Dervish, lesson learned.

Bit peeved as I could have resited the box much closer on another tree that may have only been 3-4 feet away. But this was right on the border of a neighbours garden, and he refused to have the box placed there because "he might get stung!"