Carving guide bar E 1/4" P

• 2 weeks later...
Carving guide bar E 1/4" P new stihl carving bar. any body tryed one yet. Rob D can we have some details on it please. it is described as been three parts? and why is it cheaper than the other stihl carving bars.

Sorry Tom only just seen this and then referred to from another thread.

I have got a couple of these - just not got round to listing them - mainly because I was wondering if they would be able to go on other saws other than the MS150...

But they seem fine - not as small as tip as the Samurai bars and yes they are laminated as in normal sandwich construction then the tip looks to be separate yet then joined on!

Not sure why they would make them laminated - so hard with someone like Stihl ie. are they making the bars themselves or outsourcing? Perhaps they are unable to make them solid...

I'm away at the mo - I had taken a load of pics and then promptly lost them!

Ref price - I think they will be more expensive than the other Stihl carving bars... where did you see them cheaper? I'm not a direct Stihl dealer so my Stihl prices tend to be higher than others - I try and make up for this my stocking everything and having more choice...

Finally - in the next Sugihara bars order expected 1st July there are some R7 light type carving bars - x20 10" and x20 12" which I expect I'll do some sort of pre order offer on...

:001_smile:

I got the price from the Stihl uk website. these ones are rrp 83.71 for a 12" and a normal dime tip is 90.23 for a 12".

if they are designed for a 150 i will just stick to the normal ones as i run my dime tip on an Ms 201.

I got the price from the Stihl uk website. these ones are rrp 83.71 for a 12" and a normal dime tip is 90.23 for a 12".

if they are designed for a 150 i will just stick to the normal ones as i run my dime tip on an Ms 201.

Yes that seems about right price wise. I'm not sure if anyone has started running the 1/4" p chain on larger powered saws - Stihl chain does seem to be strong so should be fine.

But with these smaller tip bars they are delicate things - you can't really bore cut, twist, lever or anything other then very gentle and fine finishing and for getting into small cracks and crevices.

Use one like a normal carving bar it will last up to an hour perhaps not even that. The Stihl one has a larger tip than the Samurai one - but still has very thin walls - it will not be strong - none of these small tip bars running 1/4" p will be - as the chain only clears a small kerf so the bars have to be quite thin.

Add to that the extra power of a 201 or similar I think that combined with small tip and it just won't last - but this is 'guessing' rather than hard fact :biggrin:

i hane a normal 12" stihl dime tip that is due to be replaced shortly so im going to experiment and reshape the tip of the old one there is still lenty of the harder metal on the tip so im going to try sharpening the piont a bit, and if needs be make the groove deeper. i guess if you dont try you dont know.

i hane a normal 12" stihl dime tip that is due to be replaced shortly so im going to experiment and reshape the tip of the old one there is still lenty of the harder metal on the tip so im going to try sharpening the piont a bit, and if needs be make the groove deeper. i guess if you dont try you dont know.

Def worth a try! If you can post up how this works out.