Chinese climbing gear

Taupotreeman

We've been approached by one of the local safety outlets in NZ who are selling CAMP and Zero height safety gear ranging from harnesses, lowering bollards, spikes etc. To make it clear WE ARE NOT INTERESTED IN BUYING THIS STUFF but we have been trying to find information on it. CAMP seems to have some back ground in the alpine and climbing industry and are based in Italy but Zero is quite a new outfit with their stuff made in China. Anyone know anything at all about these outfits and could maybe enlighten me?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Camp has been making sport climbing kit since I was a teenager and that's a while now

Camp isnt so much of a worry as I've managed to track down quite a bit of their gear and, although it seems less in the arb industry it all seems good stuff. The worry is this stuff made in China. Apparently it's all tested but I can't find any info on where or to what standard. Some of the guys from treescape have had it in their hands and reckon the metal on the krabs is pitted and feels odd. Just wondered if anyone had and dealing with chinese gear.

we use crabs and pulleys from china on rigging jobs.. not had any problems with them and used them over a year now. 3rd of the price of say petzyl pulleys. Get a good twin pulley for £15.. Not climbed with the gear but don't think I would have a problem with it to be fair and I do loler inspection

we use crabs and pulleys from china on rigging jobs.. not had any problems with them and used them over a year now. 3rd of the price of say petzyl pulleys. Get a good twin pulley for £15.. Not climbed with the gear but don't think I would have a problem with it to be fair and I do loler inspection

yeah but have you seen the scaffolding they use :lol:

yeah but have you seen the scaffolding they use :lol:

to be fair to them the scaffolding they use is better than here for there purpose.. Such as building taipai 101 the bamboo scaffolding went all the way up , steel scaffolding would of buckled... In 10 years they will prob make everything.. look around your house:lol:

the problem is not that its made in china they are capable of producing stuff as good as anyone else the problem is some factories produce utter shite made of recycled kitkat wrappers because the customer wants cheep, you might get an item from one factory top quality and an identical one from factory next door that will fail soon as look at it! :sneaky2:

Also spoke with a colleague who had looked at some of the clips etc. He reckoned they were badly pitted and felt odd in the hand. Another guy tried the mini pulleys and said that the bearings in the pulleys were bad.

To be fair, the Camp crabs were really nice and very light but my concern would be with lowering blocks, spikes and the like from the Chinese outfit. A failure of a bollard when lowering a big lump could be really ugly. If the stuff is good then all well and good but I'm concerned about cheap copies with low great steel and welds.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App