D4 device

DrewB

Ive been playing around on the D4 for a while now and thought id share a few opinions. Its hands down way way easier (for me at least) to climb with than the RIG, no idea whats going on inside the device but use one handed is super simple and you can jump and swing on it with ease. The anti panic gets a bit of getting used to and can be infuriating if your weight isnt totally on the device but once dialled its fluid and way less grabby than the RIG. If you havent got too much weight below you (in rope) then you can hold the cam open to walk with the device self feeding slack. I still find RADS a rather slow way of working a tree but we have been using it in canopy research and its great for novice climbers to use and get to grips with. The D4 feels very heavy duty ie heavy but its all metal construction does feel strong so good as a base anchor if you like base anchors but its weight can also pull rope back through so can also be seen as a negative. its also important to make sure the carabiner is orientated the right way or the gate can block the 360' handle from spinning but this doesnt stop the device from working so is a minor point.

to sum up, if ive got a RIG i may not rush out to replace it with a D4, if i want one of these devices id 100% get the D4 over the RIG. and if im taking people into trees who dont climb id definetly get the D4.

• 2 months later...

I've gotten pretty comfortable climbing on a RADS with a Grigri 1, but it's getting worn out after years of hard work, so I've been trying the ISC-D4, too. While I'm sure it's a great device for descents, I have to fight a lot more friction to tend slack while ascending poorly while ascending (losing energy and system travel.) When it comes to working the tree, it fails totally. As soon as there is any weight on the system at all (think limbwalking,) the anti-panic feature prevents me from feeding out rope. Manually failing the cam is pretty much impossible, too. :( I'm glad you're getting use out of the device, but I've given up. I’m sure there are applications for this device in the tree care industry, but RADS is not one of them.