Us imports

mattygoggz

It is cheaper, but it's exceptional for your saw not to be held by the courier/post office until you pay the import duty. They levy a charge for the pleasure too...

This used to be something you could challenge, but the law has changed now so that they are entitled to charge this 'handling charge'.

I also bought a 346xp back when the dollar was two to a pound and the dollar and sterling price were numerically the same; I effectively got a half price saw.

Trouble was that they sent me the wrong sized bar and chain and it was a complete pain to get sorted out. The saw wasn't CE approved either so there would be problems if there was 'an incident' where the HSE or insurance company became involved...

...oh and it got nicked the first time I used it. Although that wasn't because it was from the 'states!

It is cheaper, but it's exceptional for your saw not to be held by the courier/post office until you pay the import duty. They levy a charge for the pleasure too...

This used to be something you could challenge, but the law has changed now so that they are entitled to charge this 'handling charge'.

I also bought a 346xp back when the dollar was two to a pound and the dollar and sterling price were numerically the same; I effectively got a half price saw.

Trouble was that they sent me the wrong sized bar and chain and it was a complete pain to get sorted out. The saw wasn't CE approved either so there would be problems if there was 'an incident' where the HSE or insurance company became involved...

...oh and it got nicked the first time I used it. Although that wasn't because it was from the 'states!

Can you explain why that would be please?

That's what the Husqvarna dealer told me.

He quite confidently told me that the lack of CE approval (even though it was EXACTLY the same as the UK model) meant that I 'couldn't' use it for professional purposes.

I'm assuming that he knew what he was on about... mind you it did take him two goes to fix what on reflection was a pretty obvious fault - the thing with the wrong sized bar/chain/sprocket, that is...

Do you think this is untrue?

That's what the Husqvarna dealer told me.

He quite confidently told me that the lack of CE approval (even though it was EXACTLY the same as the UK model) meant that I 'couldn't' use it for professional purposes.

I'm assuming that he knew what he was on about... mind you it did take him two goes to fix what on reflection was a pretty obvious fault - the thing with the wrong sized bar/chain/sprocket, that is...

Do you think this is untrue?

I don't know, I was hoping you could shed some light on it.

Okay. I'll scratch around and see if I can find any actual facts!

I imagine that this is the same as if you were involved in an 'incident' involving an older saw with, say, no chain brake... or weren't wearing PPE...

In the event of a serious injury (or worse), in my current employment, (for a charity operating, in my area, in hostile environments) we would anticipate that the HSE would be all over us and I would fully anticipate that the insurance company would actively seek and use any reason they thought was relevant to avoid paying out a claim.

But anyway, this is my professional view, so still an 'opinion' even if well qualified. As I said, I'll see if I can find any actual facts.

It's not clear from a google search, specifically, whether non CE marked saws are 'okay' to use or not. The guidance on the HSE site isn't clear either. It's pretty equivocal on PPE though - it needs to be CE marked.

I've pinged the HSE with an enquiry - they promise to try and answer within 30 days!! The query was along the lines of 'what happens if a competent operator with the correct PPE is involved in a serious incident - CE approved saws? Yes or no?'

I'll put the kettle on...