Cedar for milling - Ashtead, Surrey

nepia

This Atlantic Cedar really is too good to be all firewood.

It's situated in a back garden 2 minutes from J9 of the M25.

Access is poor: a 30" or less passage down the side of the house with uneven rubble floor. Everything has to be handballed down it I'm afraid.

So the offer is if you want to mill it for the good stuff I'll help you in with your kit, help you out with your kit and boards, clear up after you and deal with the arisings (mustn't say waste or someone will slap my wrists.:001_tongue:)

There are two pieces for consideration. The main section (pics 1-5) is 17', tapering from 31" to 20". The piece that was atop that (pics 4 & 5 and in the foreground of pic 1) is 8', tapering from 20" to 16".

Thanks,

Jon

SDC10069.jpg.2bb81cfdca1bfe836e060d7819e569db.jpg

SDC10067.jpg.7bcdc4f1b9bb8e93805d575536a1a799.jpg

SDC10075.jpg.c972f6fd61d26b3c3c196748af6da49d.jpg

SDC10074.jpg.9403050c01bf292c429e9f2e7128096b.jpg

SDC10072.jpg.474d1ad2ab67b7250f04abc1736f46fc.jpg

SDC10071.jpg.89d2cce75d0aa803741e1fc4a471c747.jpg

SDC10065.jpg.f5053cba537b8538e71bc64bba668172.jpg

Edited by nepia
Could at least have put my name to it!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not a bad butt at all that. Bit of a twist in it, but nothing too serious. Milled and kilned a lot of cedar recently, and it's a joy to work with. The trees I bought were a touch bigger and I paid £60 a tonne roadside (had them uplifted to my yard).

If it was within 20 miles I'd be straight in there!

Cedar is good for indoors and outdoors, easy to dry and these butts have no shake or weakness.

I'll send out a newsletter with a link to this thread if you've had no joy after a few days Jon.

:biggrin:

If it was within 20 miles I'd be straight in there!

Cedar is good for indoors and outdoors, easy to dry and these butts have no shake or weakness.

I'll send out a newsletter with a link to this thread if you've had no joy after a few days Jon.

:biggrin:

That's good of you Rob. The actual owner of the tree - not the client! - has been very patient so anything I can do to move it for her will help. Thanks.:thumbup:

30".... you could get a Stein Arbor Trolly down there. :-)

Would have gleefully done that for the brush (I believe I was one of the earliest trolleyites:001_tongue:) but there are boundary hedges back and front that effectively force 45 degree turns the moment you hit the ends of the house: anything protruding beyond the back of the trolley wouldn't make it through the gap. Also when I say the floor is uneven I mean uneven: there's a small uncovered inspection hatch (now covered with a board and an anomalous patch of flat concrete 6" higher than the rest but only laid halfway across the passage!

Trust me, after 2 days dragging the brush I slept dreaming of lovely trolley loads of the stuff being drawn majestically across flat tarmac to a waiting chipper.:001_tt2:

I would love to mill that but im in hospital waiting for my wife to be induced :001_huh:

Tell her to get on with it then - there's work to be done!:001_rolleyes:

Seriously, good luck with the far more important business of your new arrival; congratulations.

The job doesn't have to be done tomorrow: where are you, when could you make it?

Jon