Fuel Mix

derwen

We are a small conservation group (volunteers) who manage the habitat on our local river. We have a number of chainsaws and brushcutters etc. Our Stihl MS 250 went in for service as well as not starting. The dealer has found that it has a partial seize ie. pot and piston gone. Reading the forum it looks as if it could have been due to stale unleaded fuel. As we only work once a week a gallon of fuel can last us months - use one or two of tank fulls a week. Debating on repairing existing saw (9 years old) or buying a new one. Also considering using Aspen as we don't use more than a couple of gallons of fuel a year. Will a new saw run on Aspen OK and our other Stihl kit - brushcutter, multitool and large drill. Would the old kit need any carb adjustment or just run OK. My Stihl dealer doesn't sell Aspen but my Husky dealer does. Could be a bit of a problem if I buy it from Husky dealer and then have to take back to Stihl dealer for setting carb. Stihl dealer hadn't heard of Aspen. Any help apprecaited.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a part time chainsaw user, how long can I safely keep and then use my petrol/oil mix? Went on a chainsaw course and I think the instructor said 1 month. Is that correct.

Month to six weeks,after that the saw will still run on it,but you risk engine damage to the piston & cylendar.

Its always a good idea to give your can a shake before topping up the saw if it has been left for a week or so anyway.:001_smile:

As said by others, Aspen is the answer to you fuel needs. If your machines are in good order then they should need very little, if any, carb adjustment to swap to Aspen.

If the machines are already suffering from the effects of stale fuel, then this will need fixing before changing to Aspen. Aspen will not cure existing problems.

I have converted many hundreds of machines over to Aspen and the majority need no adjustment at all to run sweetly.

Once converted, your machines should remain trouble free, at least from fuel issues.

As a part time chainsaw user, how long can I safely keep and then use my petrol/oil mix? Went on a chainsaw course and I think the instructor said 1 month. Is that correct.

One month is safe, you may get away with longer but personally use up old fuel in the lawnmower and mix fresh - it will be more critical in fast revving modern saws than slower older saws and will also have a more negative effect on saws that are set a bit lean.

It is always best to mix enough for that days cutting or do it by the tank full if just doing a bit of personal home logging for the burner.

I have seen carnage on many a saw due to old fuel:thumbdown: