hitch climber nightmare

tony053

hi guys, i havent had my hitch climber long but i have got yale xtc plus 13mm rope with ocean polyester 8mm hitch cord. Im using 8 wraps and 2 braids and i still find i have to set the vt so that it will grip, it also gets quite tight and is a bit hard to descend on after climbing for a while. I dont care about the self tending feature just want it to grip without having to touch it. Anyone have any ideas of what i can do to get it to grip by itself.

cheers guys :001_smile:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think the length of my cord is whats wrong then i tied my own and it is 150cm without the fishermans in it. I think i will shorten it and try the 4 wraps and 4 braids. if i dont get on with that then i will try different cord or hitch.

cheers guys

Had the same issue mate. Was using 8mm Ocean polyester and just couldnt get it spot on the way i wanted, also tried 10mm OP and still wasn't happy. Then switched to 10mm Yale silverstreak and its great, just keep the legs of the cord as short as you can above the pully. I don't use sewn ends on it either but fishermans instead, this allows me to adjust the length of the cord ever so slightly which is almost like fine tuning the set up - I doesn't look as pretty but its a darn sight cheaper. On a distel too.

i think the length of my cord is whats wrong then i tied my own and it is 150cm without the fishermans in it. I think i will shorten it and try the 4 wraps and 4 braids. if i dont get on with that then i will try different cord or hitch.

cheers guys

Way to long !! 4-2 should work really well on XTC at the proper length.

I used to find 3-3 worked best ... But that's what I love about the vt , you can tune it to your needs... I had the most fun on XTC and 8mm cord!!